Piggy Pharmacy at home?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by savinggrace, Jun 30, 2006.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

What do you keep in your medicine cabinet specifically for your pigs? Just trying to be prepared on all accounts for my two new little uns!

Thanks

Melissa

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Fruit punch Gatorade, Dannon Yogurt, LA-200 antibiotic.

3. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

All of the above; if you have gilts or sows close to farrowing, you might want to have oxytocin and calcium.If you are not sure you might have vitamins and iron available, if you haven't had your pigs long enough to make sure they are fed in a healthy way.Most folks here go for less medicine, more preventive care through good nutrition and as much fresh air and clean environment as possible.Well cared for hogs don't have too many health problems......

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I keep iodine in case of wounds, penicillin, LA 200. Since we farrow twice a year, I also have iron, oxytocin. Aside from the needles and syringes to go with those, I also keep ob gloves, plain gloves, and a hog snare.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

It is my understanding-and PLEASE correct me if I am misinformed- that hogs allowed to run on dirt lots or grazing land will get their IRON from the soil, and hence not require iron shots. If a sow carries thru winter where everything is a godforsaken frozen Tundra for 5 months, they would not be able to get iron in this manner.
    So what specific product would you buy from vet supply, what is correct dosage? Let's say a Sow farrows in March. Would you give iron to sow prefreshening, give iron to sow & litter after freshening(farrowing), or all of the above??

That Hog Snare sounds like just the ticket :rolleyes: er, to catch me Junior UpNorths ,LOL.

6. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

I brought up iron because I didn't know the situation Melissa has in mind. I have a bottle but have never used it.It is recommended thatpigs get 1cc of iron at birth , then another in 10-14 days. If there's any doubt, better to give it to the babies,but we've never had any trouble.We try to have them farrow on clean ground and move the pens, the way ya'll move yours, don't think it would be a problem until the arctic cold hits......you know, along about late august or labor day,,LOL

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I keep it and use 1cc per piglet a day after they are born. I know I am probably okay without it, because the sows are on dirt. But I am just not going to find out.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I used to keep iron on hand for weak piglets that I purchased. I did a lot of purchasing when I had a snake business. I've never given an iron shot for any of mine though. It is only recommended for pigs on concrete. Your shoats won't be on block ice, surely they will get their iron from the ground.

As for the question, I don't keep anything specifically for the pigs. My medicine bag is general purpose. It has red cell, ivomec inj. electrolytes, probios, kaopectate, syringes, Biomycin, PenG, quietex, ammonium chloride, cmpk paste, tetanus antitoxin, epinephrine, and sulfa powder.

9. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Thank you these are great suggestions!
    I am glad I asked, a few things mentioned are not my within my customary horse and poultry cabinet, I have added them to my shopping list!

Only two more weeks until we are piggy parents! :)

10. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

We don't do iron or vitamin shots. We're in the mountains of northern Vermont where it does freeze solid for many months (Dec-April most years) and during that time there is no real access to dirt - the ground is like iron and covered with a thick layer of snow and ice. In the backs of our winter pig dens they may get dirt but it is pretty hard stuff and actually mostly rock. Winter farrowed piglets seem fine though. They do have free access hay and may be getting what they need from that for all the pigs. They eat a lot of hay in the winter.