Piggies and Goats

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Farmgirl8388, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

My freind Dane and i really love animals and are helping out with the local fair. Well he has pigs and i have goats, Well what i was wonderin is that can pigs and goats get along or will the fight, His pigs chew on eachothers ears and im worried that they will try to do the same to my little goat kids. thanks for all the help you can offer.
    Lyn

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Lyn.
    Not sure when you are thinking of having them together. If it's only in the trailer or truck going to and from the fair, it is always much better to be safe than sorry. A small gate or piece of plywood across the corner of the bed would keep them away from each other. Pigs are much heavier and more able to do harm than the goats. It would be to your best interest to not put them together anytime. They possibly could get along just fine, but you wouldn't know that for certain until it's too late to do much about it.

3. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

My pigs are in a pen beside a few goats. My fence hopping wether aways crawls in during feeding time to eat with the pigs (I only have two, about 150 lb feeder pigs right now). They really don't notice him since they are eating, I wish they would discourage him so he wouldn't kill himself by eating too much grain. Don't think I would trust hungry pigs with anything edible, they would nibble my boot toes if I stood still long enough.

If you are planning on sharing pasture I would suggest keeping them separate but rotate the goats and pigs as they do not share the same worms and would help reduce the specie specific worm load.