Pigged out this evening!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Jun 26, 2004.

1. Yesterday morning I got up about 5:30 a.m. and started the fire and start heating up the water. A couple of hours later a cuz of mine showed up and we euthenized a pig and started scraping it. It was the first pig I ever scraped. It wasn't as terrible of a chore as I thought it would be. Growing up I watched my uncle's scrape and butcher hogs quite often but I never participated in the actual scraping and butchering. I only participated in the eating part. So I was kind of dreading the scraping part yesterday. Everything went real well. It didn't take long to heat the water up and we didn't use very much wood. I must have gathered up half a rick of wood and ended up using very little of it. After we scraped and cleaned the pig the best we could we singed what hair we couldn't get off and then we cut the pig up in 6 big peices (7 counting the head). My plans are to roast each big peice in a smoker when we get hungry for pig. My original plans was to build a Cajun Microwave and cook the whole pig in it. But I just haven't had time to gather the material and spend a whole day cooking. I do still have one pig in the pen but I'm planning on sending that one to the processor so I can have special cuts such as pork chops, etc.

However, we did take one big peice today and done a Indian hog fry with it. We removed all the meat off the bones and placed the meat in a big cast iron dutch oven and slow cooked it over a wood fire. It is my wife and I's wedding anniversery today so we celebrated with our kids by Pigging Out!

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Sounds yummy...but I have to admit, I'm still cracking up over

"euthanized a pig"

:haha: :haha: :haha:

and....

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Meg

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek:

Oh, I love good old fashioned Indian hog fries. :D

Geeeez, my mouth's watering! :D :D :D

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

how much do you spend on the processor? how often do you do that? depending upon the numbers it might be cheaper to buy your own equipment and do it yourself.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Yum Yum! Nothing better than fresh pork! Happy Aniversary & Enjoy. :D

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary R.H.! Bet that hog tastes wonderful! :D

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

OK, I'll bite, What is a ' Cajun Microwave '????????

8. GeorgeK, I do already have the equipment to cut up just about any animal. But I don't trust my skills when it comes to curing hams and bacons. Especially in my part of the country when the weather never stays the same for more than 48 hours. We can have 80 degree temps in the winter months.

Cyngbaeld, what is a cajun microwave? Actually what it is, is a giant dutch oven made to cook whatever amount of meat you plan to cook. Do a google search on Cajun Microwave and you will see some examples. You build it big enough to contain the whole pig and build a fire upon top of the oven and it generates the right amount of heat inside the oven. I have not yet tried a cajun microwave but have done a lot of dutch oven cooking.

Oh yes, we are still eating leftovers from the hog fry. Mmmmm. still good.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Thanks, I googled it. Thought it was something you had made up. :haha: :haha: Looks interesting, but I can't imagine me cooking a whole hog. And I hope I don't ever have to cook a whole moose at one time again!

10. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

"cook a whole moose at one time..........again"???????
    You got some 'splainin to do Lucy.....