pigburgers?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by gridfaniker, Jan 11, 2005.

1. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Member

can you make hamburgers out of pig meat (AKA pork)? I figure if you can make pork chops out of beef (AKA steaks) you can make burgers out of pigs. there's got to be a way to tenderize the pig meat so that you can grind it up and make patties and/or meatballs.

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Would that not be a sausage patty?

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

The last turkeys I butchered, I took some of the turkey meat and had it mixed with pork butt for excellent burger meat. Ground pork? Why not. Excellent for meat loaf too.

4. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

It would be sausage if you seasoned it like a sausage patty otherwise just plain ole pork burgers.

GA

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

We grounded up a lot. I use it like burger though there is a bit more grease. Since we haven't had ground beef for so long (been living off of deer burger mostly) I can't tell you how it compairs. I have not used it for hamburgers, just ground burger. We are going to made rabbit sausage using the fatty pork butt. Hope I can talk the hubby into getying a steer this year :rolleyes:

6. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Since we don't eat beef much we always have true "Hamburgers" When we have our hogs slaughtered we have sausage spiced to our taste and they when the mood hit my wife she make's "hamburgers".

We also have "Lambburgers" from the sausage we get when we have our sheep butchered.

Tr it you might just like it:>

7. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

We do. No tenderizing necessary. Just grind. Call it sausage, call it ham-burger, just don't call me late to dinner. :)

8. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

sounds good and seems to make sense. I know that my mother used to make meatloaf using ground beef and ground pork (not seasoned as in sausage).

9. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Pork burgers are one of my best sellers. I never heard of them before I moved out here, but they are common enough to be popular, but uncommon enough to be hard to find.

I add the hams to the meat to be ground to keep it on the lean side.

Jena

10. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

My family loves pork burgers better than any other kind. They get more excited about them than the chops! I butcher myself and use the front shoulders and legs and scraps. This is how I do it:

I make patties just like beef and fry in a nonstick or cast iron skillet.
    I put patties in cold skillet with enough water to cover bottom but not patties. I salt and pepper. Let fry and flip until done. The water helps the fat "render" and makes the meat leaner and more tender. I put slice cheese on top and set aside in a plate. I put the grease in a bowl to use on bread.

Since we are on a low cab diet and can't find the lowcarb buns any more, I use low carb sliced bread.

I put one teaspoon of saved grease on one side of bread and fry it in the skillet until brown then flip over and toast on other side.

After bread is toasted I put the patties between the bread and serve with usual burger toppings.

They are good cold. I make extras and we take them in our lunches and eat them cold. We have them once a week.

11. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

We do with all the less than prime cuts. We freeze it, and ground lamb, in a variety of package sizes for different needs. We use it to make chili, spagetti sauce, breakfast sausage patties, etc. We eat a lot of it ground in sauses. Works great.

Cheers,

Walter Jeffries
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont
    ---
    Livestock Dog Pups Available: http://SugarMtnFarm.com/pups/
    Vermont Cape House & Land: http://hollygraphicart.com/vermontcape/

12. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

LMAO. You guys took the pigburger bait.
    Hail gridfaniker. :rock:

13. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we have all of our left over meat make into sausage and chili meat...kind of like stew meat on the beef. It makes it faster to whip up a pot of green chili.
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs

14. mink

mink Well-Known Member

here in new york all the stores sell ground pork......makes a nice burger with some mayo and a bun

15. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

PJD's recipe sounds good, only I'd add a tablespoon of hot horseradish to the sandwich. :goodjob:

16. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Breakfast sandwich:

Fry sausage patty
    Toast bread
    Place toast in sausage grease
    Fry egg
    Place patty and egg between bread with slice of cheese and eat with cup of hot apple cider w/ maple syrup :sing:

17. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Any meat can be made into a burger, to get it to hold together it needs at least 10% fat, much more than that and you should probably grill rather than fry. The biggest trick is when you grind make sure the meat is cold, if not even slightly frozen. It makes a big difference in the texture