Pig ... worms?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mike in Pa, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I have a red belted and a white pig. The white one is much bigger and only a little older. The red belted one had scours really bad. I gave an antibiotic and it didn't help. I wormed again and it stopped the scours. This was weeks ago.
    But now she won't stand a long time. She always lays down and roots a bit or chews on something. If I get them excited she'll run around a bit but then down she goes again (not falling but laying).
    She has REALLY long eyelashes too. I had heard long hair means worms.

What do you think?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Mike, what was the wormer? and how was it administered? Coarse rough hair may be an indication. I do not believe length is an indicator. Up in the cattle forum they discussed that curly hair was an indicator in cattle. An unthrifty or stressed animal will not have a good coat of hair but length and curly do not figure into the diagnosis IMO. In cases of major parasites it is often necessary to worm with different wormers and at specific intervals in order to get the worms that escape the initial treatment and that treatments target parasites and additional treatment to get the newly hatched parasites with the second round of treatment.

3. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

How often should a pig be wormed? I just got the ivomec injectible and the new litter and momma. Would 2 rounds do it? Its more of a premeptive measure than they actually have them (also when they are ready for sale, I can say they were wormed)

Dan

4. Mike in Pa

agman, they were given an injectible (I think Ivomec) near birth then again the day I took them. I wormed them recently with a pellet type in their food (Safer brand I think). Also, thanks for helping to diagnose the original problem.

Dan, as Agman said in another post and I agree, yes you should worm after birth. I go as natural as possible BELIEVE ME but I think it's still necessary. I do have DE that I'll use too. I just don't know if it's truly effective.

5. Mike in Pa

Doesn't sould like anyone has concerns that her laying down a lot is an indication of anything. I hope not.
    I mean I've heard of lazy but that's going a bit far!

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Mike, It is difficult to "see" the pigs from here but the one sounds as if it has lungworms causing it to fatigue easily. A known fresh injection of Ivomec in the neck area at the correct amount for the pigs size is in order IMO. Unfortunately, the smalllest bottle I know of is $30.55 and contains enough to treat 50 each 110 lb. hogs. www.pbsanimalhealth.com
    Atgard, another good dewormer is ineffective on lungworms however. Is the Atgard possibly what you used last? Do not consider the levamisole or piperzine products.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Just as a note on Ivermectin, I noticed on the bottle "Protect from light" or something of that nature. I looked it up, and Ivermectin will degrade if it's exposed to light very much. So I went and bought a fresh bottle, which I'm storing in the original box.

8. Mike in Pa

I'm not certain. I know it was one of the two for sure. It wasn't mine, it was the breeders. But, the scours seemed to go away after I wormed them.