Pig with other livestock

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by k4gin, Dec 29, 2003.

1. k4gin

k4gin Guest

I want to raise a couple of pigs for butcher. We have 3-4 acres fenced and have 2 horses and 3 boer goats on it now. There is a 24x24 3 sided lean to and a creek runs thru it. Can I raise the pigs in the same field with the horses and goats?

2. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

From the little I've learned this year with our pigs, you MAY be alright, esp if the pigs are coming to you small. Ours were big and they bit our lambs and small goats that got in the way of their food. Our pigs are now in their own yard. We have horses too now and I would be afraid the horses might step on the young piglets accidentally. But you may be alright. Let's see what everyone else has to say.

3. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

We've kept pigs (60 pounds and up) with market wether goats or bucks for many years and we've had no problem, although we do grain the goats up high in a "stilt-like" feeder with a roof. Make sure you check with your feed supplier on ingredients in the different species’ feed being harmful to another when they are kept together. We use a feed mix that is safe for all of our stock. We keep a cow and full-grown pig in the same lot throughout the winter and even though they do not like each other they are both stubborn enough not to move away from one another. I have a photo where one morning several years back, we caught our big black steer laying down with a goat laying on his back and a Duroc gilt curled up by the steer’s belly. I let our two horses in the goat field one spring and it was nearly disastrous. They had been cooped up and needed exercise and took off running. A kid thought my Haflinger was her mother and started running after her. The Haflinger turned around on a dime and not seeing the baby, ran right over top of her and the little one did somersaults. The horses are not in the goat field anymore. At feeding time every critter on the homestead acts like they’re starving and they’re thinking only of number one. The smaller critters need to be able to get into a feeding area where the larger ones can’t, like in a creep feeder. Have a sunny day!

4. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

I thought I would add that DH won't let "my" pigs anywhere near a grassy area, we only keep a few at any one time and they have to stay in the hillside lot, which is at least 50X150 feet I think. We make the market animals drink at the bottom and eat at the top of the hill.