Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter came on fast here and it came right after heavy rains. One shelter of pigs in the low land didn't get moved for a couple days of freezing temps. A few pigs have come down with a deep cough. We're thinking pneumonia?
Is there anything (home remedieds) we can try before we resort to calling the vet. We're raising them all natural, so if we have to give them antibiotics they will have to be fed out and put into the standard food chain at auction.

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
This might be worms. If so then try garlic. I have found that powdered garlic (not garlic salt) is highly effective. Add a small amount the first feeding. Gradually increase it over the course of three days to a week depending on how bad the infestation is. Repeat in 21 days.

As a preventative, managed rotational grazing helps avoid the problem to begin with.

There are many 'natural' aids to fighting parasites. See this:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2005/10/worms-au-natural.html

for more info.

Cheers,

-Walter

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
If the problem is from parasites and to the point that it is causing coughing you need to use a product that is scientifically proven. I would like to suggest injectable ivermectin but with a couple of pigs it is expensive since the smallest container does 50 pigs for around $35. As a substitute a packet of Atgard is less than $5 and will do 9 ea 40 lb. pigs. You need to treat ASAP. www.jeffereslivestock.com is a source
PS....raised natural and raised organic are two different things. Natural raised animals can be given parasite control medications from what I have read. I believe that even organic raised animals can in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
If the problem is from parasites and you are not willing to use chemicals which will greatly reduce the value of the meat, or you simply want to avoid those chemicals, then you need to look beyond commercial wormers at the many alternatives that have a long tradition of working. They asked for a home remedy for natural raising. There is a great deal of scientific research showing that things like garlic are very effective. No need to reject solutions just because they don't come with a big corporate label.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
The commercial wormers will not reduce the value near as much as a dead pig. By the time a pig is coughing from a parasite infection it is well on its way to perishing. Time is of the essence in this situation.I was a commercial pork producer for a number of years. You know what works for you and I have followed your posts with interests. On the other hand, I am not the poster that you had the running feud with here and I do not want to get into a contest with you. We have different opinions and that is that!

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Agmantoo, I'm not trying to start a fight with you. I am not arguing that commercial wormers are invalid. But, the original poster asked about home remedies. There is quite a bit of scientific research on this topic. Here's a search pattern to get started with:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Ascaris+suum+garlic

Oink & Cluck, you might find this article of interest:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/organic/organic_14c.php

And here are two other interesting articles for background:

http://ucdnema.ucdavis.edu/imagemap/nemmap/Ent156html/nemas/ascaristoxocara

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/article/414/large-white-worms-or-ascarids-ascaris-suum

Also check out the above search pattern.

Cheers,

-Walter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have been giving them Garlic but after checking records we missed that group not once but twice - they were by themselves on the other side of the farm clearing a lot in the corner of the woods. Will start treating them tommorow and watch them carefully the next week. Thanks for the links they are helpful. If anyone else has something to add I'll keep checkimg back daily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the problem is from parasites and you are not willing to use chemicals which will greatly reduce the value of the meat, or you simply want to avoid those chemicals, then you need to look beyond commercial wormers at the many alternatives that have a long tradition of working. They asked for a home remedy for natural raising. There is a great deal of scientific research showing that things like garlic are very effective. No need to reject solutions just because they don't come with a big corporate label.
We also raise our pigs, and all of our livestock, in the most natural way that we can. I use Diatomaceous earth for all of my animals and was raised using garlic on our household pets. With that being said, their health is my #1 priority. If I don't feel that the natural solutions are working to my satisfaction, I will use a traditional dewormer if it means that my animals stay healthy. I don't believe in letting any animal suffer for the sake of a few extra dollars or the stigma that society puts on the term "all natural". If we do give traditional medicine to any of our meat animals, we don't slaughter until we are absolutely confident that the medicine has left their system. We have the peace of mind that when we process our meat it is from a healthy happy animal, not one that has suffered for weeks or months on remedies that didn't work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts