pig with a knot on its neck

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by pandbscott5925, Nov 4, 2004.

1. pandbscott5925

pandbscott5925 Member

i have been raising feeder pigs for about 9 months, all has went well. i have a 8 week old piglet that overnight developed a knot in its neck. it is about two inches across and sticks out about two inches it is on the right side just behind and below its ear. any ideas?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like an absess. Squeeze it and see if it is soft or firm. If it is soft you could most likely pierce it near the bottom and let the puss run out. It might have gotten a big splinter in there or something like that. If its firm it may be some kind of tumer. It would cost more to have it removed by a vet than the pigs is worth.

3. countrygrl

countrygrl Guest

if the pig is intended for slaughter does it need to be removed??? just curious i guess.

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

we had the same thing and it was an abcess .

My wife checked it with a syringe to make sure that no blood came out then lanced it and squeezed out all the abcess and then flooded the area with peroxide and it healed fine.

We put stop blood on it also.

The pig squealed like, well, a stuck pig but it didn't bother him for long.

WEAR GLOVES AND IF YOU GET BLOOD IN THE SYRINGE STOP AND CALL THE VET!

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

If it is an abcess from a retained foreign object like a big splinter, it will be recurrent until the splinter is removed or broken down by the immune system, periodically getting bigger, then spontaneously draining until one of a couple things happen.

It could get septic and die

It could eventually heal on its own

Healing a wound takes energy away from growth, so this pig will likely grow slower if it does heal (at least during the healing process)

6. pandbscott5925

pandbscott5925 Member

thanks all, it was a thorn from a honey locust tree. at least that is what it looks like got it out and it almost drained itself, almost went ahead and lanced the bottom to allow further drainage and sprayed with blue coat. i think it will be fine. it sure looks alot better.

7. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it.

I am trying to imagine, though, holding one of these not-so-little-anymore squealers down for much of anything anymore...
    Hope DD is taming them..