Pig Weight Question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by quiverfull, Mar 10, 2005.

1. quiverfull

quiverfull Member

Hi Everyone!
    I posted back in November when we were getting our piglets and now the 5 of them are about 200+ lbs. We know that butchering day is just around the corner.

My question is what is the best weight for butchering? We have a friend who has raised pigs and he told us 250 to 275# and my MIL who was talking with someone was told 200#'s.

Also we are using a hog weigh tape to figure weights.. are these fairly accurate?

Thanks! Crystal :)

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

market hogs are sent to be processed at 220 to 240 lbs mostly since the conversion rate of feed to gain is starting to drop off after that weight is achieved. Good sausage and large slices of cured ham comes from hogs much heavier IMO. The largest hog I ever had weighed 860 lbs. It was huge but many hogs get even larger. I have processed a number of sows that weighed in the 450 up range and used them in whole hog sausage that was totally delicious. With spring around the corner and grass greening you are aware that you can graze a hog and you could keep a couple back to feed garden waste and scraps to in order to have some big hogs to kill in the fall.

3. quiverfull

quiverfull Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it. We weighed them again today and it likes they are between 215 and 250. My husband is feeling like we should go ahead and butcher in the next couple of weeks. That is mostly due to the fact we will be finishing up the ton of feed that we bought them last month.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Here is something that is easy to remember. It take 3 months, 3weeks, and 3 days for a hog to have pigs. When weaned pigs are taken from the sow at 50 lbs. the weaned pigs should be at market weight when the sow has the next litter. This amounts to a time period of roughly 115 days. You got your pigs in November and now in March they should be roughly 115+ days old and it is easy to realize that they are 220 lbs plus and are ready for market. You can predetermine what it will cost you to produce a market hog by totalling the following prices: 10 bushels on corn, 150 lbs of protein supplement, 10 lbs or so of mineral/salt plus water for 115 days.

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

We butcher pigs around 80 to 100 kgs...which is 180 to 220 lbs...isnt it? Once they get bigger than that all they do is put on FAT not MEAT...total waste of good feed getting them that big. Happy pig eating..:)

6. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

250 is about the cut of date for 4-H hogs to be bought by John Morell in SD here...so not anymore then that.
    AJ