Pig VS Dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by daileyjoy, Jul 25, 2004.

1. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

I was reading the other day about castrating a pig and to be honest a little shocked, I did not know that was how it was done. I got to thinking and remembered a post a while ago about banding a dog and wondered why would it be ok to castrate a pig that way but if it were done to a dog or even banding a dog people would get really ticked off claiming it was abuse to do that to a dog. So not wanting to start a huge fight here but I am truly curious, what is the difference between a pig and a dog. To pigs not feel pain the same? Also I am not judging anyone who castrates pigs this way, that is not my intent. Just wondering why it is ok for a pig but wouldn't be for say a dog or another animal.

Jennifer

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I would need to know the medical science behind the decisions to be able to answer this but I'll share my immediate thoughts, which could be wrong.... Some breeds of dogs have their tails cropped in the first three days of life before nerve endings are fully developed there. Calves are also castrated without anesthesia, as are goats. I'm not saying it is not painful and I'm not saying it is right, but if history sets a track record, it appears to be survivable. Doing it very early seems to be largely successful. If dogs were going to a meat market and considered livestock rather than pets, I'm sure there would be a parallel between other livestock rearing methods and the methods used with dogs.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It all boils down to who is doing the casterating. I've seen dogs casterated. Cats, goats, cattle. sheep, horses, donkeys, chickens, racoons, and a few others I'm missing. All without the benifit of antisetic. This has been common practice for longer than we have reliable records. It hurts them all. Badly. The pets nowdays are treated more humanely by giving them antisetic. Banding is less painful I'm sure. I've banded many calves and goats without them showing signs of much pain.
    Tender hearted people are trying to change this practice by eliminating domestic livestock all together. When that happens pets need to be eliminated also.
    Keeping an animal shut in a house for hours without being able to have bodily functions is far from humane treatment.
    There isn't any thing more inhumane that the treatment that humans force on other humans.
    How great it would be if that were not true!

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Absolutely!

I've banded older goats and it hurts. It hurts to even do it! Poor goaties. :waa: I will never do that again --- that is, I will never again wait til they're 4 mos to band. It needs to be done shortly after birth.

I know someone who told me his wandering hound came home banded a year or so ago. :rolleyes: :haha: So it's doable and they survive.

BUT IT HURTS!

Band shortly after birth!

5. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I've never understood or accepted the notion of castrating/fixing male dogs. I know all the propaganda about pet population problems. But males don't have puppies. If a female dog is in heat, and I fix my male dogs, that won't stop the neighbor dogs from visiting. Now if I fix my females, all the male dogs in the world can keep their "doghood" and no one suffers. Personally I prefer dogproof enclosures for female dogs...for a three week period....can never tell when a trait is revealed, that needs to be reproduced...if a male or female is fixed, they're genetically dead.

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Ill give you one reason that doesnt even touch on the health benefits.
    Because one unaltered male dog can impregnate a very high number of females in one day. A female dog, if impregnated one day, is going to have and be responsible for one litter, average 5 puppies. A male dog can be responsible for breeding many many females in that same day, and be responsible for 30, 50, 75, etc puppies. So thats one reason why male dogs SHOULD be neutered.

I find it amusing that so many men think the dog cares about his "doghood" the same way men care about their manhood. It just doesnt work that way. You cant project your feelings about your own, uh, family jewels on a dog and think he feels the same way about his.

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Shygal,
    that might be a problem in the city...breeding multiple times in a single day...my little weenie dog hasn't even got a 'whiff' of a female in heat in 5 years. I'm 2 miles from the nearest neighbor, about four from the nearest other dog, even further to the nearest female dog, and about eight miles to the closest dog of the right size, for my male dog to breed with...and that little tart is fixed.

(Projecting my thoughts into his (my dog's) mind here :eek: ) Exactly where might I find a place where there are that many females in heat, at one time, in one place.

I have been actively searching for a female Dachshound (weener dog) for him to breed with for three or four years, free stud fee, registered parents, I take one of the litter. Each person I come across with a female weener, has had the dog fixed. WHERE DO puppies come from...seems every 'responsible' owner has their dog fixed??? Should we only get papered dogs from registered breeders? Pets R Us? I prefer getting dogs as soon as they are puppy weened...I can train them quite easily. Pound dogs are ok I guess if your just looking for a "dog". They're there because they have been mistreated or unwanted. It's a larger hurdle getting them to join "my pack".

Sounds to me like you've got some irresponsible dog owners in your area. I like to think of myself as responsible. I know where my dogs are at all times. When they're gone, I know they're gone, and I go looking for them, and find them. My neighbors and relatives know my dogs. If they disturb them or their critters, I take care of the problem. I follow the country code...If you call me informing me that one of my critters has caused you harm, I replace or fix whatever the problem might be, and secure that animal from repeating that bad behavior. The "code" says if that rule is followed, multiple offenses may occur. If I don't fix the problem, my critter is apt to leave my property and never return. The corollary of the code is Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup. Several members in the local community have their critters on the SSShutup list...their owners are irresponsible, even belligerent when confronted with damage problems...therefore, when one of their dogs or other animals comes visiting, they visit only once.

From the alpha male of the pack...

8. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

Banding is only meant to be used in animals who have a scrotum that hangs away from the body with a narrow base - calves,lambs, and kids. (i guess a hound could have a similar build) Pigs, cats and dogs have a scrotum that is close to the body with a wide base. In a situation like that, there is too much tissue inside the band, and complete interruption of circulation to the testicles does not occur. Instead of drying up, and falling off, the band slowly kills the skin and surface tissues around the scrotum and you end up with tissue sloughing off, a gaping wound, and a nice infection to deal with. I have treated a very sick dog, and tomcat who's brainless owners thought that wrapping a heavy rubber band around their pet's scrotum would sterilize them.

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Banding should not be used on dogs because they have teeth and can reach their "banded area" and cause damage and infection by chewing. I don't like banding anyway. It can cause gangrene because anaerobic bacteria can be trapped in the dieing tissue. I have always used to knife to castrate little baby goats and calves. They are so undeveloped at a young age, there is only a minor injury and and quick healing. They wound stays open to drain. I've never had one get any kind of infection ever and none of them seem as disturbed as those I have seen banded, in which the process of sloughing is slow. I do not castrate in the heat, I don't think banding should be done in the heat either (remember I am in Texas and when I say heat, I mean it). Heat and surgery of any type can be a bad combination if the animal is not really watched for dehydration, shock and flies. So I try to have things born in the cool. and no problems. I castrate my bucks when they are under two weeks and my calves as soon as they are 24 hous old, or younger if they are really strong and spunky while I can still do it by myself.

Castration with the knife seems to be falling out of favour with many folks. Perhaps it is the idea of it. I learned it from my grandparents, my Dad, and at Texas A&M. I don't have an Elastrator, but have considered getting one as I get older. Just don't like the idea of THEM though.

10. women have their ovaries removed all the time and nobody bats an eye, but talk about removing a man's testicles (like to treat prostate cancer which 80% of the time will stop cancer of the prostate in it's tracks, and is an out patient treatment) and people get all up in arms

11. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I think one of the main reasons people 'fix' their male dogs is to 1) reduce wandering and 2) reduce 'marking'.

In terms of reducing the number of puppies - I agree, fixing the females makes the most sense. I also know that fixing females supposedly reduces the chance of them getting some type of cancer.