Pig smell question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by famer_manda, Jun 26, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I went to church yesterday all excited about my impending pig promotion but someone there just had to try and burst my bubble.

She said her neighbors are raising 4 pigs for 4H (feeders) and she said the smell is horrible. She admitted they were probably in a pen too small for that many pigs but she said the urine was absolutely offensive. I told her I was thinking of breeding and selling off some piglets to help pay for the cost of raising pigs plus filling my own freezer. She tried to tell me it would be a lot "cheaper" just to buy feeder pigs every spring and butcher them when they are about 250 lbs.

She also said a sow would get to be about 1,500 lbs and you wouldnt want to butcher her because the meat would be too tough. I read on here before that the boar meat gets tough but what about the sow?

Someone who actually has raised pigs, please tell me the truth on these subjects. I hate to take the word of someone who only raises dogs. I need a real farmer to speak up please lol. I have chickens and ducks, it isn't exactly as smelly as a pig but I do have a male goat who stinks plenty and I am not bothered by the smell. How much worse could 3 pigs get in a wide open area?

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Most sows max out at about 600 lbs, and their meat can be harvested and ground in to delicious pork sausage. Young sows or Gilts can still be harvested as a butcher Hog.
    Confine any animal in too small of a space and leave it in the same spot all year and it will smell. Rotate to clean areas, put some lime in small pens & clean regularly, things will remain reasonable. Keep in mind, these are farm animals. Those that don't wish to ever have any farm smell about should choose to live elsewhere.

3. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

I have 2 pigs, have had them for a couple of months now and the smell is not bad at all. In fact, my mom and 2 of her friends came to visit a few weeks ago and one of them remarked on the lack of stink. I started laughing and said "boy they must not smell too bad at all", because they were standing 15 feet from a utility cart full of pig manure that I had hauled out of the barn the day before.

It really isn't that bad, I throw barn lime down in the areas where they urinate and that helps too.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

As the others have said, ag lyme works wonders. When pigs are kept inappropriately (makes mewonder about those 4-H pigs mentioned) they may lie down in their own urine to cool off. Ifthey lie down on their feces, they will have that smell too. Plus the flies are absolutely horrendous. Good pen size+ appropriate hygiene/cleaning + lyme + food grade DE in feed = no smell and no flies. Cheap and simple.

5. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

With proper care and such, there shouldn't be much odor. Some folks raising feeder hogs keep them in such tight spaces to keep them from moving and burning calories. If you are raising them; I'm sure you'll have a big enough area for them and the smell won't be bad with maintenance like your other animal pens.

6. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Hog myth busting...pigs in a proper sized enclosure with grass do not smell offensive. My Large Blacks have a distinctive 'spicy' odour...that is the only way I can put it. Even so, you can only smell that when you are right beside them...I like the smell.

7. famer_manda

Yeah she said most of their pen area was in a small barn thing. Even she said they seemed cramped. I have an area bigger than my house ... i would say probably a good 1500 sq feet and I can' timagine that they would smell.. They would have a pond to play in and take their baths lol

thanks for answering

8. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hi,

I was in a low roofed building with one almost open sidethe other day for about 1 hr with 11 piglets, 2 sows, 8 feeders going to market next week, and a 650 lb boar.

There was a smell, and you could smell it on your hair and clothes when you left, but I didn't smell anything 5 ft from the building!

I'm thinking 2 or 3 pigs would = 100 chickens. Tolerable, certainly! :p

Horses stink if they have dirty stalls. Heck, dog kennels stink if they are dirty. Yours will be clean, your pigs will be happy, and it won't smell that bad at all! :dance:

9. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

We have 13 ac. I pasture 5 smaller pigs, 11 goats, and numerous chickens, and ducks. the pigs are the least smelly.

I love having pigs on pasture. the feed is less and the pigs can forage and lounge where they want. i don't have problems w/ board pigs riping things up eighter.

ps. electric wire reinforcements is also the only way to go w/ pigs. IMHO.

10. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Look on the bright side.......once you get your pigs, your"friend" from church won't be coming around to bother you....a Win-Win situation. Now, get your pigs and show us their pictures, LOL

11. Up North

**milkinpigs- YOU'RE NOT JUST ANOTHER PRETTY FACE, LOL
    You always see the silver lining.......................................................

12. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

:dance:

13. BD

BD Active Member

pig aroma is like a GOOD pipe tobacco ; it just stays with you. Its amazing how a barn gets with hogs in it. It's true, you can leave almost anything in there for a hour or two and you instantly have pig odor on it. My wife bought those fancy air fresheners to place where I hang my barn clothles and they last about 5 minutes and smell like my barn .I was gonna send one back to manufacture and tell them that this is the best fragrance yet!. I think i'll package them and sell them to all those city dwellers that don't know what their are missing. Yes, the ones that buy meat with all those good things in at the grocery store.

14. Up North

All this talk of farm fragrances makes me realize Y,all should know the REAL Milkinpigs. Picture Vin Diesel with a milker claw in one hand and a precariously perched pet Poland Pig in the other........He is actually a savvy entrepreneur who designs and sells a farm based line of aftershaves for men. Yes, he cut a fat hog with his RANTY BOAR, as it sold well with the college crowd. But that was just the runt of the litter. He totally slaughtered the market with his flagship fragrance HINT OF HOG.
    ......................................................................................................

15. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Manda, forget about your friend from church - best she gets on with praying and stops talking rubbish.

A 1,500lb sow would be a sight to behold - like it's the size of a good cattle beast. Like boars, sows do not make for good meat if your wanting chops and succulent roasts. As they age the fat becomes soft and the meat coarse but they are very good for processed meats - pork mince and various types of sausage. I've also eaten pickled pork from an older sow and it was beautiful.

As has already been said, pigs do not stink if kept correctly and what smell they do have, I rather like. When on heat the sows can often have a musky smell and the boars too will sometimes have that same musky smell but I don't find it offensive. However, some people do seem to be susceptible to the smell of pigs. Running behind my cowshed is an old, disused pig pen. A friend was in the cowshed one day and sniffed then told me I had pigs there. There hadn't been a pig in that pen for close on a year but she could still smell it. She also doesn't like pigs.

You carry on and get your pigs and give it a go. If you have problems there are many here that will only be too happy to help out.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

16. famer_manda

Ooh Ronnie, why is your pig pen empty?/ Ooh my my my, you must remedy that and fill it back up with some piglets :p

We have had rain here for two days, I haven't finished the pen yet. It is going to rain all week. My husband said I get to ask his dad about the fence charger thing. Blaaah. I must admit I have pride and I absolutely HATE the thought of asking my fil for anything at all!!!!! But its worth it, and i will consider asking him.. lol just not going to tell him its for pigs. I will just say I am fencing in part of my property for my farm animals. He will think I mean the goats lol.

17. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A tremendous amount of pork from older sows is consumed and we never realize that we ate older animal. A student at Clemson discovered how to take the main cuts or muscles from numerous large hams and using the natural binders in pork to reconstruct these cuts as a single piece of "ham". When you see the large, boneless(no hole), nearly fat free, slices of "ham" in the supermarkets you are seeing the end results.

18. Suburban Farm

Suburban Farm Farmer Wannabe

If they are in the field they don't smell but at the slaughter house pens they smell.... Told they smell like money.....UGh.....

Boy that is the truth. My son cleaned the pig pens at work and my other son did a swan dive into the poop/water pool so I had to take him home. Took forever to get that smell out of my minivan.

Cheryl

19. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Don't worry Manda, I've still got my pigs :) It's just that this pen has gone past it's use by date and while it was handy, it's location wasn't particularly healthy. The drainage from it wasn't good, the concrete is old and worn making it hard to clean and the house finally collapsed. Although it was ideally set up for allowing pigs into pasture, it was also into pasture I use for calves or night paddocks for the cows and I wasn't fussed on that. I now have a grand plan of getting the concrete resurfaced, putting up some walls, roof and doors, and turning it into a calf house which could also double as covered in pens for shearing as my little shearing shed is part of the same complex.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

20. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Everything smells at the slaughterhouse, the animals are stressed and scouring, the pens are small and ignored for the while they are inhabited. And the pigs come from all sorts of places that may have kept them clean or may have kept them in filth. But a pig, even in a small pen, shouldn't stink. Shoveling the poop out, using lyme, providing an appropriate wallowing hole, and feeding DE to keep flies down, should work in any area. Before we knew better, we raised my son's 4H Duroc in a pen that measured 8 x 20. It never stank. In Florida, when I was visiting pig farms for whatever reason (buying mainly) I had to keep my mouth shut or the flies would go in it, they were that bad. Pigs on concrete didn't smell if the keeper kept the pens clean. But I've seen some elaborate set ups that were as neglected as the smallest dirt and pallet pen. I'd pull up a chair in the evenings beside my sow pen. Very few flies and no smell.