Pig Shots

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Jena, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My pet pig weighs about 450 pounds. He got an abcess on his butt. I planned on treating it the usual way...lance it, clean out the goop, topical antibiotic and a shot of LA 200.

I went to give him a shot and could not get it in. I was using a 16 x 3/4 needle and it just wouldn't do it. I had to slam it into him and then the plunger wouldn't go. Do I need a longer needle? Bigger gauge? Just how thick does their darn skin get anyways? I've shot small pigs, but I've never had anything like this before.

Now my pet is mad at me. When I come in the pen, he runs away. Too bad because I'm going to have to get him tomorrow. Maybe I'll make hubby do it.

Jena

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Jena
    Are you using a luer lock needle? Those things have gotten stuck on me so often that I only use luer slips now. There must be some trick to them I don't know about. The largest I've ever used is an 18 and I felt bad about it.
    I'd forego the injection altogether if I could keep him in a clean area for a couple of weeks until it heals- doesn't matter if its dirt as long as its clean. My method to treat abscesses ,and all injuries, involves only topical treatment with sulfa powder. You can get vet grade in a pet store as fish antibiotics. Break open the capsule and pour it on. That stuff has allowed serious injuries inflicted by my Catahoula on rowdy pigs to heal without ever giving an injection of antibiotics.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Jena,
    Don't like your chances of getting near your pig tomorrow I'm afraid - two things they have long memories for are buggered up injections and electric fences :haha:

I too had this problem with adult pigs both with trying to get the needle in and then when I did, the plunger wouldn't go down. Finally worked out that I was useing the wrong needle for the job. I now use a 14 x 1 and 1/2" and have had no trouble since. It sounds huge - and is - but I wormed my boar last night while he was eating his dinner and he never missed a beat in filling his face. The skin of an adult pig is actually very thick and a light needle is not going to do the job.

Are you injecting IM or SC?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

IM injection. I'll try a 14 while he's eating today. I hope he forgives me....

Jena