Pig shelter

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dieselfreak, Dec 19, 2005.

1. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

I have a pen that is 16 ft by 32 ft. At the moment I have three feeder calves in it but soon they will be in the big pen with the older animals, and as soon as they leave I want to put some hogs in the pen. Half of the pen is outdoors in the sunlight and the other half is enclosed from wind and rain so they have all sorts of shelter. I was just wondering how many hogs i could comfortably fit into the pen. I want to be humane about it and not stuff them in there like some people do, but I want as many as possible. Thanks for input

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

With no obvious means of dealing with the manure I would go with 10. As small pigs there will be a lot of seemingly wasted space but as the animals grow the space will shrink. You will have to shovel some as the animals grow!

3. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

Aaaa I don't mind a little shoveling. I clean out the pen now quite a bit and I dont mind it much. I just dont think I'm going to like the transfer from not so bad calf manure to extremely aweful pig manure.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Clean the pen thoroughly prior to the pigs arrival. Sprinkle some lime inside the house and have some bedding in the house. When they do arrive get a few shovel fulls of manure from the trailer they are in. Place this manure in the outside area of the pen in the most distant corner from where you will feed the pigs and not too far from the water source. If you have a choice of location and the pen has one corner lower than the rest of the area use the lowest corner. They will train to use the designated area!

5. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

that sounds like a great idea I'll have to see if I can do that