Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some questions about the little pig shelters I build recently, so I thought I would put some better pictures and information in an easy to find place for those of you interested. The shelter themselves are 8' wide and 10' long. They are just over 3' high if I remember right, sorry I do not have that measurement with me. The supplies I used were as follows

4 pieces 36" x 10' tin
2 each treated 4"x 4"x 10' post for skids (ends cut on 45's to make them slide)
2 each 8' treated 2"x4" for cross braces at each end of runner
4 each 2x4 blocks approx 12" ( I screwed these to the bottom of the 2x4 cross braces to help keep the 4x4's from pulling inward when moving the shelter, I think you can see them in the picture)
15 each 2x4 spruce 4' in length cut at 35 degree angle on each end (these make up the roof trusses)
10 each small 1/2" plywood or OSB braces for corners of trusses (you can see in the picture approx 10" x 6" any size that is close will work)
2 1/2" exterior deck screws (for connecting cross braces to 4x4's and also for connecting trusses to 4x4's
1 5/8" deck screws for connecting braces to truss corners
Exterior wood glue for truss corners and braces
metal roofing screws for connecting tin.
4 each 4 1/2" x 1/2" carriage bolts, nuts and flat washers (for attaching chain)
4 each 1/4" chain 4 links each (can use more if wanted, this is enough)

That is pretty much it. I made the tin flush with the end truss so it would not have a exposed sharp edge, then I took a hammer to knock down any sharp places. You could make it look better by using some kind of trim. I may add some latter, I just did not have any when I built these.
Now I will try an load some pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a better close up of the roof trusses and joints with the plywood braces. I also used some of the 2 1/2" screws from each side to connect the 2x4's together. I actually laid these down on the ground and built all of the trusses so they were exactly the same, then connected the completed trusses to the 4x4's after the glue dried the next day. They are spaced apart about 2 1/2'. I basically put one on each end and one in the middle then centered the other two between the end and middle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the chain which I use to attach to to move them. Yes, I know these are actually some of my chicken tractors, but it is the same setup for the shelters. Works pretty good and you only need one good long chain with hooks on the end and it can be used for other things also. This was much cheaper than trying to buy enough chain or cable for each thing I made. I attached these on all 4 corners so it can be pulled from either end. You could probably move these by hand a shot distance, they are not light, but not all that heavy either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that is it folks. I am sure there are lots of other things that can be used for pig shelter, but I did not have any and I needed some shelters. I did not figure the exact cost, but they were not all that expensive and should last for quite a few years, especially if I get some trim to cover the ends (that will go on my to do list). Hope that answers the questions some of you had, if you need more info. just ask or PM me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks good would add a couple bus to the cost but a couple 4x6 runners would keep them up out of the dirt a little more I would just watch the mid colored paint isle at Walmart or home depot and paint the end boards instead of trim I just got 5 gal of Glidden exterior gray house paint for $39 at Walmart
chains look good my hog house has 4 wraps of no 9 wire serves the same purpose

Edit I see now you built them on treated 4x4

·
Registered
488 Posts
Me likey! Very clean looking! I'm redoing the look of my whole place. I'll have to try my hand at making one! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks - we will be using this in a couple of weeks after the farrowing house is done. This will make a great additional shelter for winter and summer shade. We have free tin so the cost is pretty good. We hook up our chains differently - drill through the skid and put a forged large eye bolt through it. Hook the chain to it and off we go!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Looks great. I would have to change the design or place it on an incline for winter usage otherwise the snow would crush the flat top...but I like it!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Muleman, I love your shelter.
I did a quick price for supplies here in east TN and the total is $283.00 that doesn't include ends, carriage bolts,nuts, flat washers and chain link.
Maybe I can save up to build this, I could also modify for my goats, ducks, turkeys etc.
Good job :banana:

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GravyI thought about snow when I built these. We get a maximum of 12" or so at one time so it is not a big consideration where I live. I will say when I was screwing down the tin on top I climbed on top of the roof to do this, and nothing seemed to move, so I think a few hundred pounds of snow would not be a problem. With the outer studs tilted in the hold a lot of weight. I personally do not think enough snow could pile on top to collapse it, ice may be a different deal? Something else to consider is I intend to close one end when winter gets here with a sheet of OSB, this will add a tremendous amount of support to the roof. I just left it open for more airflow during the warmer months.

Cooper, I do not know exactly how many butcher hogs could fit under at one time. I know I have seen 4 of my sows under at one time and there was lots of room left over. The walls are tilted in, but not so much as they can not lay in the entire bottom, so the whole 8'x10' footprint is all available space.

Janis I do not think have that much in them, but I built several of these at the same time and I was working on 3 chicken tractors also, so I did not keep a good total of what each individual project cost. I will see if I can figure it up and I will post what I come up with for my estimated cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From one muleman to another. That is a great shelter. I have enough scraps here to build one. We recently built a pole barn, so I have tin left over from that. I have four mules, four to many, but they are hard to part with.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may go without a lot of things in my life, but a mule will not be among those things. I can never envision a time when I do not have at least one. Right now we are down to 6 and a Donkey, and some mares and a Jack.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
GravyI thought about snow when I built these. We get a maximum of 12" or so at one time so it is not a big consideration where I live. I will say when I was screwing down the tin on top I climbed on top of the roof to do this, and nothing seemed to move, so I think a few hundred pounds of snow would not be a problem. With the outer studs tilted in the hold a lot of weight. I personally do not think enough snow could pile on top to collapse it, ice may be a different deal? Something else to consider is I intend to close one end when winter gets here with a sheet of OSB, this will add a tremendous amount of support to the roof. I just left it open for more airflow during the warmer months.
I wouldn't worry if it was only a foot or two of snow...we often get several feet at a time. The good news is a slight incline and it would slide off of the slick metal roof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts