Pig Scale Experiments

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by highlands, Mar 15, 2005.

1. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

Well, the home made pig scale has been a resounding learning experience. :)

It is a 300 lb hanging spring scale from http://www.kvvet.com (go to their site and do a search on "hanging scale" to find it).

We made a sling to hang the live pigs from the scale. We tested this on our dogs and it worked fine. Pigs on the other hand are not as cooperative. The best we got was half a pig or so at a time. We never succeeded in getting the entire pig in the air at once and holding still enough to get a reading.

I am going to build a weighing crate at some point that will then hang from the scale and I can walk a pig or sheep into the crate letting them eat while I weigh them. Hopefully that will be better. I'm thinking of using some 666 welded wire mesh and a plywood bottom. One criteria is the crate will need to not be more than 50 lbs ideally and definitely not more than 75 lbs. I've ordered some of the mesh and will know more soon.

My goal is an inexpensive way to get real weights as opposed to the taping and calculation method I've been using to date. That will also give us the chance to compare the two methods.

Cheers,

Walter Jeffries
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont

2. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

Please keep us updated on your experiments. I have thought about trying something like that. We will be starting with our pigs next month and I would like to get an accurate weight since I will be culling half the gilts I buy.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A hydraulic cylinder and a large scaled gauge is a method to measure weight. You will get a ratio of the actualy weight of the pressure applied to the rod end of the hydraulic cylinder feeding back to the gauge that is mounted to the input port of the cylinder. Be careful not to get any air trapped in the oil chamber.

4. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

My husband asks what is the mathematical formula for converting psi to pounds of weight?

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter