Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a question about pigs and rattlesnakes. I am so wanting to get a couple of pigs and we are making progress. I know how I want the shelter to be set up. And we have a good site for the pen. The only thing that I am afraid of is the rattle snakes we have out here. With the flood waters up, we have had more than I would like. We have killed a total of 6 snakes this season and each one has been at least 44 inches long and as big around as a man's forearm. Nothing to play with. I have heard that pigs kill and even eat rattle snakes, but come on, won't that at least make them really sick? And even worse when the pigs are small! So what do I do? Should I just not get pigs out here? Thanks for any advise you can give me.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Pigs will eat snakes, but??? A rattle snake will kill a small pig for sure. The reason a pig can kill a snake is not because they have some kind of immunity to the poison. Pigs have FAT. The snake strikes, the poison goes into fat, but does not make it to the bloodstream, therefore the pig is fairly unaffected by the poison. At least in the neurological way that snake venom is made to work. The spot they strike will still all die and it will probably not be a overall good deal for anyone.
You do not have your location posted, so I have no idea where you live or what the climate is like. I would suppose if there was someone on ere living near to you they could probably give better info. here in Arkansas we have rattlesnake, but I have never heard of anyone having a problem keeping pigs because of them.
I guess being I do not know where you are you could be right across the street from me, in that case my info probably was helpful??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts