Pig Roast

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 22, 2004.

1. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Thanks R.H., I will have to give this way a try.
    We are getting ready to cook one in the ground this weekend. We bury it on Friday night and let it cook underground all night. We have cooked them on the ground and in our big offset cooker, but no body wanted to tend the fire this time! :haha:

2. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

Cool picture's. I grilled pork steaks and ribs this weekend. Shore was good.

3. Bigshrimp

Bigshrimp Member

Hey Cowgirlone, how do you cook the pig underground without having to tend the fire?

I have never cooked a whole pig before but would love to eventually try....I LOVE pig roasts!!

Is there a preferred method or are they all just different ways of getting to the same result?

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That looks very similar to the Cuban way of cooking that my grandparents and uncles have always used on Christmas Eve. Now that I raise and butcher my own - I leave whole anwith skin on and after a delicious meal I vacuum seal and freeze the rest in portions which last for months. My Puerto Rican partner has a cbs pit and we turn our whole pigs for 4-5 hours til done. I like the P.R. way even more than the Cuban way.

5. cowgirlone

Hi Bigshrimp,
    We dig a pit long and deep enough to hold the hog and a 6 to 8 inch bed of hot coals.
    On Friday night we burn enough hard wood in the hole to get a good bed of hot coals going, place a sheet of tin over the hot coals, place the wrapped and seasoned hog on the tin, cover the whole thing with another sheet of tin and then bury it with dirt.
    Making sure you seal the edges of the tin so the heat won't escape. Let it cook all night and have a party the next day..WooHoo!
    You can either wrap the hog in wet burlap OR plain old foil. Also wrap the wrapped hog in chicken wire to make it easy to lift out of the hole when it's done.
    This method works good for most meats, turkeys briskets etc..
    We like to cook whole hogs this way, it's easy, BUT cooking the hog over an open flame makes the skin so good and crispy!

Tango and Snuffy, you're making my mouth water! :haha:

6. Bigshrimp

Bigshrimp Member

Cowgirlone, do you leave an airvent to the coals so that oxygen can get to the fire or is the heat already in the coals good enough to cook the pig through??

7. So after studying how a cajun microwave works I'm wondering if a person could use a old non-working chest freezer for a cajun microwave. Maybe use something else for the fire lid. I did find another site where the people made a tin box and placed it in the ground and then made a fire lid to fit the box. They were cooking a whole pig in it (100 pounder) and claimed it only takes about 6 hours to cook. They claim they injected marinade in all areas of the pig before placing it inside the box and then they would baste it every 2 hours.

Does anybody know whats inside the walls of a chest freezer? I would like to know this before I ever roast anything in it.

Also, I was out back in my junk yard this evening and I noticed that one of my old gas ranges has a oven box that could be taken out and place upright on its back and it would make a perfect cajun microwave box. I just need to come up with a fire lid for the top. It would be perfect for cooking turkeys, chickens, and maybe babyback ribs and etc.

All this talk is maken me hungry! :D

8. cowgirlone

Bigshrimp, there's no air vent, just enough of a hot coal bed to cook the whole hog overnight.

R.H., I'm not sure what kind of insulation is in a freezer, also the liner might have to be removed if it is plactic. Other than that, I bet it would work, I know you can make a smoker out of a fridge.
    Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

9. cowgirlone

10. Brad

Brad Active Member

Hey Cowgirlone, did you ever determine which method works best for freezing your shrimp? I remember you were trying several differents ways and I would like to learn what you found out. Thanks! Brad

11. cowgirlone

Brad, I'll send you a PM.