Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SarahJoy [loves her farm]
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hopefully getting a pig this weekend or next to raise for meat. The pen will be finished tomorrow ( it would have been finished today but I slipped and sliced four of my fingers pretty deep and by the time I was done dressing them it was dark :nono: ) Anyways the pen is 10x10 an it's connected to a shed that's about 7x8. Is this good for one pig? I'll teach it to lead on a leash so it'll root my moms garden and come butcher time it won't be a struggle to get her up the hill to the driveway. I also have a few more questions.

1. What vaccinations should a pig receive?
2. How often should it be wormed?
3. Whats the best wormer to use?
4. Does anyone have a recipe for home mixed grain ( wheat barley ect? )
5. Does a pig need hay? Some websites I've searched say no while the others say yes.
6. How much hay and what kind?

Thanks!! :1pig:

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please help~ :shrug:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The pen will work, but you may have to work a little to keep the odor down once the pig gets a little bigger. If you can make it bigger it would be better. Give him as much space as you can spare.

I'll offer my opinions on your other questions. I'm sure others will have differing ideas.

1) I personally don't vaccinate.

2) I only worm when the pigs need it. I usually don't have to, but occasionally I do.

3) I prefer to use a wormer feed. Ivermectin is probably actually better, but I don't like to use anything that harsh if I don't have to. I wouldn't hesitate to use if I needed to, but so far, I've had good results without it.

4) Check with your feed store. They should have a swine supplement meal or something similar. They should have the mix ratios on the bag or at the store for whatever protein percentage you want.

5) & 6) You can put a roll of whatever kind of hay you have in your area under the shed if you want. He'll probably eat some of it if you don't have much grass. Even if he doesn't eat much of it he'll make beds and play with it. It's not necessary, though. That's one of those things that's fine if you do it or fine if you don't.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Don't worry and have fun. Pigs don't need much of anything, but like some things better then others. Hay is good, because it means they will eat less of other food which likely costs you more. If you have loads of free food, why bother with the hay?

The more room you give a pig, the less it will stink. One pig in a 10x10 area will turn the whole area into a wallow in no time, and it will stink like crazy. Perhaps if it never rains where you live this may not be as much of a problem, but here it is.

I believe you could let a pig free range no problem, provided you are far enough from your neighbors, and you kept him penned until he was used to being fed in a certain spot at a certain time. My pigs are naturally timid, and only explore tentatively. As soon as they bump into something unexpected, they run like the wind back to their little "safe" zone.

Good luck, and don't worry. One little piglet will only eat about 20 times as much as you do every day. :)

Pete

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol. Thanks guys. We don't have any pasture here at all. All <s>dirt</s> dust. This drought and mini heat wave has killed everything! :Bawling: :Bawling:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was going to say that people not in Tn don't know hay is selling just below gold in value and pasture is gone.

On you feed mix ratio, our TN co-ops have several feed mixes in their computers. I can Pm you my tag info and you can have feed milled where you are at using several forumlas I've tried and then you can pick the one you like....You can then change something you like...ask them to save it and it will be entered into the computer for all of us to try.

On the question of hay??? I believe they need some fiber...With hay passing the cost of feed, I'm chopping corn and baling low quality hay for the hogs and selling higher quality hay and then buying feed. Don't feel it's necesssary to overpay for hay this year....It's just not profitable to pay 6-7.00 a square.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know we're paying 6 a bale and its just not working we sold half our herd. The heat is making the goat so irritable also. They don't do anything. I've had to give them Power Punch and Gatorade stuff everyday. I'ts about 105 now at 5 oclock! :help:

Oh Lord Almighty help us!

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
GSFarm said:
I'm hopefully getting a pig this weekend or next to raise for meat. The pen will be finished tomorrow ( it would have been finished today but I slipped and sliced four of my fingers pretty deep and by the time I was done dressing them it was dark :nono: ) Anyways the pen is 10x10 an it's connected to a shed that's about 7x8. Is this good for one pig? I'll teach it to lead on a leash so it'll root my moms garden and come butcher time it won't be a struggle to get her up the hill to the driveway. I also have a few more questions.

1. What vaccinations should a pig receive?
2. How often should it be wormed?
3. Whats the best wormer to use?
4. Does anyone have a recipe for home mixed grain ( wheat barley ect? )
5. Does a pig need hay? Some websites I've searched say no while the others say yes.
6. How much hay and what kind?

Thanks!! :1pig:
I haven't vaccinated they were given a shot of Ivermectin when I picked them up. That was the wormer and from what everyone says all the wormer they will need unless something devlops. I feed hog grower from either my COOP or Bartletts feed from my feed store. Neither mixes feed so it's whatever they sell in the bag which seems to be working great. All of my family works in different reaturants so supplemental feed is always coming home with them. I feed cane stalks, corn stalks and any broadleaf weeds. They will just destroy whatever hay you put in there for them so all they get is junk hay I got for free. I would go with 2 if possible, I have 2 in a 16x16 pen which includes their 4x8 leanto house.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I don't vaccinate. I don't deworm per sé. I feed food (codex) grade diatomaceous earth (DE) daily for good health. It also deworms. I don't use any other deworming products. When the proper amount is fed, DE also prevents sickness, diseases, conditions.

It rarely rains here. No greenery growing. I feed hay, alfalfa or Bermuda grass hay, fed free choice. Also to the poultry. The other stock get Bermuda.

All my stock roam free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.