Pig Question - Mexican Pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by chicamarun, Jan 2, 2007.

1. chicamarun

chicamarun Well-Known Member

We have ended up with a Mexican Hairless Pig. Apparently from what I have read about it - it is a true miniature pig weighing at tops 175lbs.

Now I say that we keep her and breed for a cross - however the main draw back is that if you search for Mexican Hairless Pigs on the internet - you find out that they are used in research and that is their "purpose" in the US (we plan on selling "pasture raised pork" at the local farmers market or by the 1/2 or whole hog direct). Ours was previously used to have blood drawn from it - nothing ever injected. Usually they donate the pig to someplace to finish it out to butcher for homeless people - but somehow a friend of ours ended up with it and planned to raise it in suburbia - which of course didn't work out. So now we have the pig.

I don't know much about her at all. But was curious if anyone had any experience with this breed. All I can personally find out is the medical research with them. I can't seem to find out litter sizes or anything else.

Thanks in advance!!

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Just eat it. If you want to raise meat pigs start with pigs bred for meat.

3. Rogo

Rogo Well-Known Member

If you're looking for small pigs to raise for food, you might consider the Potbelly pig. Perhaps to crossbreed for your gal. The PBP is a bacon, not lard, breed. If they're raised on pasture instead of as couch potato pets, they're a lean pig.

The price is certainly right for the PBP - I've been offered quite for few free.

4. chicamarun

Well I would think that I would have a harder time in the commercial side selling pbp - though I really enjoyed George's site on it. Because of the view of so many people, I can see what would happen.

I think I might have the same problem with this Mexican pig also so we probably will just end up eating it. We are probably getting some Tamworth piglets soon from someone local - but the question arose from me because she also has a boar and a couple of gilts for a good price and I thought with the boar, I could just breed all 3 of them and see what happens.

However, last night my husband said no breeding pigs this year - we have too much else we need to do before we are ready for that (in his words). So I might get them in the spring time. Maybe already bred.

5. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

My sister is looking for a small, white, hairless pig. If you know of one under 100 pounds please let me know. Adult (so we know it won't get to big)

We are currently looking at pot bellied pigs which she will keep close shaved, a hairless one would be better.

6. chicamarun

As far as I can tell - these are all black. I didn't see any reference to any other color in the stuff I pulled up. They do have hair - but not much - like a line of hair right down her back. They also get to about 176 maximum.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

That's a little bigger than a pbp, but close enough they should cross. I'm not sure but I imagine the hairless trait is likely to be recessive. Most scientific breeding programs of anything usually have a recessive line for studying whatever. Depending upon how you plan to raise them, there might not be much to get ready for. Let them do it the wild way and simply pasture them and provide enough hay to burrow into for warmth and your time spent taking care of them dwindles precipitously

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

If you don't want it, someone may want to keep it around being so small.