Pig Prices

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Haggis, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I've been looking for a half dozen pigs to fatten for the freezer and a fellow got wind of it and called me last night. He said he had a half dozen pigs weighing 30-50 lbs. each. I ask where he lived so I could go by and look at them, but he said he would just bring them by here for a look.

I had rather see the sow and get a fix in my mind about what they'll grow into, but...

Anyway he wants $1.00 a pound at guessed weight on these little porkers. Does anyone here have a handle on weaner pig prices of late?

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

First of all never buy a pig in a poke. If you can't see how their raised or living conditions you are really taking a chance.

I pay $25.00 for 13lb pigglets that are three weeks old so I don't know about 40 to 50 lbers but the going market rate is about 70c lb and that is what you should be paying.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I agree about the pig in a poke tip. I've an idea in my head that this fellow is buying them eslewhere and dropping by my place to turn a profit; or so he thinks.

I've made no deal to purchase, only to look. But you can bet that if the pigs suit me, I'll be offering well under the market price due to not seeing where or how they were raised, and not geting a look at the sow.

Besides, what one pays at auction and what one pays on the farm should be different prices. The farmer has to pay haul bills and auction bills at market, not to mention time lost on the farm while away at auction.

Thanks a heap for the help!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Get the number from his plates when he drops by. I have a hunch he never seen the pigs until they were loaded into his truck. I have another hunch the owner didn't help him load them.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I agree with Uncle Will. I'd even go so far as to call the local cop shop and see if there's been any problems with stolen hogs around there. They might want to come see the pigs too! Of course, if it's sale barn day...he might just be coming from there.

I would never buy from someone that doesn't let me come look at them. I wouldn't let them come to my place either. Lord knows what nasty diseases they might bring in, or what they will be eyeballing to come haul away when I'm not home.

Jena

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Well, the pig man came by..., four pokes with a pig in each. :no:

He opened each burlap bag just enough for a peak and then tied it shut again. He wanted $1.00 per pound and called the pigs two 40 pounders and two thirty pounders, and wanted $140 for the lot. I picked up each bag and it was more like two 15 pounders, a 20 pounder, and a 25.

I handle buckets of milk, buckets of feed, bales of hay, and feed sacks everyday so I have a fair guess as to the weight of something.

I told the guy we couldn't do business and walked away from his truck without another word. I need some pigs for winter, but geez, what huckster.

This guy was the ultimate worst case senario when buying anything. He wanted nearly double the per pound value and was nearly doubling the weight of of his pigs!!

7. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Sad case...hauling them around in burlap bags for one...I know it's done but, come on!! If you're a dealer or sell pigs regularily, GET A CRATE!! :eek: I really, really wonder where this guy came from.

And, here across the river in WI, I've been paying about $1.00-$1.10/# for really nice, solid feeders/weiners( :haha: ) from a "happy home". I had to wait 4 weeks for someone to run an ad for feeders. Seems like not a lot of folks are farrowing right now. The guy had a 100 and they are nearly gone in under 10 days!!

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

suryet, you don't make any sense. You say he shouldn't pay more than 70 cents a lb, and then say you yourself pay nearly $2.00 per lb! Feeders always cost more per lb, don't know what the market is right now, but $1.00 is usually in the ballpark. Also, many hog farmers do not want anyone else on the farm due to disease concerns. That said, the guy does sound like a shyster.

9. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I buy 3 week piglets directly from the breeder and I pay $25.00 each cause in my area that is what they sell for with all shots/castrated/tail docked.
    I always wondered why pigglets cost so much when 40lb pigs go for per lb price.

Next time I go to the hog breeder I will ask. It really is a good question. :confused:

10. tinknal

Siryet, I'm not saying you are paying too much. Younger animals always sell for more than older ones on a per pound basis. The reason for this, is this is the most expensive weight to put on. When you hear about feeder pigs, this refers to pigs near the 40 pound mark. After 40 pounds, weight is cheap to put on a pig, and oftentimes, a 60 pound pig won't bring much more than a 40 pound pig.

11. uncle Will in In.

A newborn pig is nearly worthless as a feeder but it is still valuable to the breeder who has feed its mother for over four months to get the pigs. He has a pretty good investment in the pig. With some mothers milk and a small amount of feed for 6 to 8 weeks it will be worth about a $1 a pound. To sell the pig smaller the price has to be much higher than the dollar to recap any profit from all that was invested to get the day old pig. In other words you should be able to take the 3 week old $25 dollar pig and with no more than $15 dollars worth of feed have a 40 pound pig worth $40.

12. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Let me see if I have this right:

The smaller the pig or hog the higher the per lb price should be, in order to recoup the cost of raising and maintaining the sow/boar.

I asked a small breeder and they didn't give me an answer except to say market value is how they deal. They seem to be able to get $200.00 for a 200 lb hog live weight.

So another lesson learned and I thank you all.

Still, for me, it is worth $25.00 to get my piglets cause they are castrated/iron shots/tails docked. I only raised 5 this year and am going back to raising 2 only.

Ya'll have a great week :)

13. uncle Will in In.

$200 for a 200 lb pig? I know several hog raisers that would love to tap in to a license to steel like that.

14. tinknal

If they are getting $200 for a 200 lb hog, processing better be included.

15. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

We pay $12.50 for our weaners - first shots, full tails and no ear notches.

We raise them to 200-250 lb and haul them off to be processed. We charge our customers $200 a hog and they pay processing to have the hog cut and wrapped the way they want.

People will pay a premium price for dirt-raised hogs free of chemicals.

16. i know this is a little off the topic but a lot of times a fat hog is not much differant than a feeder and feed, infact if you buy bag feed at a farm store the butcher is probably cheaper. Also no space accomodations or tending involved. if you watch the cycles sometimes hogs get cheaper than the corn and that is when a lot of farmers start dumping shoving prices down even further. I have also seen a lot of times sale barn price will be below on farm price partly due to it being a decision to sell. on farm prices tend to be ask driven auction prices tend to be offer driven.

17. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Ok, I think it is great that you are getting that much, but where do you market them? Run newspaper ads? ETC.

18. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

It has totally been word of mouth so far. First year we raised two, but Daddy wanted 1/2 hog. The next time we had to raise another 1/2 hog for Daddy, but a friend of his wanted the other half. Plus a couple of our friends asked if we would raise a hog for them. Now, friends of friends are asking and our website has generated a few hog sales also.

We just tripled the size of our hog yard this summer for our next batch.