pig prices

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Misty, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

took some really nice weaners to the sale barn today....$25 for the bigger and $15 for the runts. Kept 10 to sell as show pigs and or fatten out.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

:doh: I shoulda sent the Boss out there with the trailer,LOL. How much them pigs weigh ?

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Had no problem seling mine at $40. They seem to be harder to come by round these parts so I'll be doing that again. Our auction isn't licensedto sell for raising, just for butchering.

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

they were about 25#

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

So prices about the same as they are here then! Although the pigs in our area tend to be quite common - lacking in good breeding. :rolleyes:

6. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

My pigs were right about 35-40 lbs and I paid 50.00 each. Frankly, I feel like I got a good deal! :)

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A rule of thumb that I applied when I was a pork producer was that feeder pigs were worth twice the price of market hogs on a per pound basis. This always seemed fair to everyone concerned. With market hogs at $.45/lb the maximum I could/would pay for a pig was $.90/lb. This enabled me to make a small profit and permitted the pig producer to do the same. Everyone has to make a living. I also considered that the hanging carcass was worth 3 times the live market price when sold to an individual. Processing and packaging was the buyers expense. We used the processors scales to determine the hanging weight and everyone seemed satisfied.
    In summary
    A 40 lb. pigs was worth $36 in this example
    The market hog at 230 lb @ $.45 brought in $103.50 wholesale
    The single hog sold to and individual would bring in ~$180.05

8. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

This is a small variation on my mother's recipie that I think she got from her grandmother. We make up this sauce in batches and can it for quick meals - just add meat and it doesn't have to be ribs. The sauce from around the cooked meat is also great on greens and mashed potatoes. After finishing the meal we save the sauce that is left for another meal.

Country pork ribs
    Cooked at 350 for about 1 hour then covered with sauce.
    cooked 1 chopped onion & some green pepper in small amount of fat for 10 minutes;
    added 1 1/2 c tomatoe (crushed, sauced, etc), 3 tblsp molasses, 2 tblsp vinegar, 1 1/2 tblsp worchestshire, 2 tsp prepared mustard, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic, some red pepper to taste.
    Baked 1 hour more.

[Edit: Oops, I meant to post that to the recipes thread. I don't see how to delete this... -WJ]

9. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

On piglets especially it is important to keep in mind that the prices vary greatly with the season and the region. I've heard of piglets selling for as little as $35 in the late fall around here although I always get $55 and sell out in that season. In the spring the price is $65 to $85 here depending on the month and size of the piglet. At those prices we can't keep up with the demand even with 30 very productive sows. I have seen ads in the paper asking $95 around here from April through July. I have heard of some people gladly paying $150 for piglets due to scarcity. Supply and demand vary and make a huge difference.