pig prices

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by swollen tongue, Jul 21, 2006.

1. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

what is the going rate per lb. live wieght for a choice home grown pig (225 lbs.), feed only the best feed rations, greens, etc. Seems to be a lot of different opinions on this topic. anybody out there sells their pigs to local folks?

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

$2.00 a lb hanging weight. They pay for butcher costs. Here I've heard anywhere from 1.50 a lb hanging to 2.25 a lb hanging.

kids

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

we sell ours for $0.75 lb walking around weight. Buyer pays for butchering. If I am delivering my hogs to market I will deliver theirs free but a special trip to butcher is $15.00 for delivery. :)

BTW We are located in River Valley Arkansas. :dance:

4. BD

BD Active Member

hi, northern illinois, $.85 pound live weight delivered to butcher ; and pick up processed frozen meat at my house. BOB

5. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

thanks for your replies. I was going to charge 1.00 lb. live weight, but have no scales, so...........what would it be comparatively to the hanging weight?? at the butcher?
    Somebody do the math for me. what would the precentage be of the hanging weight vs. the live weight?? thanks!!!

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

It's $3.50 a pound hanging weight, buyer pays butchering. We are in Pheonix metro area, AZ

Niki

7. Angie

Angie Well-Known Member

I am in Ohio. This past winter I sold mine for .70 live weight. You can either tape them and get a good round about weight or the butcher can tell you the weight when he butchers them. You can buy a special tape measure at a feed store or look up on the internet and there are sites that tell you how to tape them yourself.

8. BD

BD Active Member

hi, ours are weighed at butcher and identified at same time. This way the process charges by pound live weight for killing fee.