Pig Pickin (pig roast) web site done!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TxCloverAngel, Jan 1, 2006.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I have bookmarked the site for future reference. It is very good Dana...an easy read...I dont know how minute a detail you need but the word "left" is spelt wrong at the bottom....lol sorry.
    Now....if I wanted to smoke the middles for Bacon can this be done in a smoker like yours? We know nothing about curing a pig but our farm butcher doesnt do it...we can scrape the skin etc in a bath with chains....but dont know anyone with a smoke house. What do ya think?

3. TxCloverAngel

OOps! thanks! will fix it.

as for the bacon.. I think that kind of curing , a smokehouse uses a cooler smoke.. not sure.. will look into it and let ya know.

As for scraping and such, yep you can do that at home. I have been told that a 55gal barrel drum works best.

I would ask your local butcher about smoke curing meats for you... all my local butchers will smoke sausage, Bacon, hams etc... (I know for a fact this can be done at home, just don't know how) i would even ask the man at the meat counter at your grocery store.. he might point you in the right direction.

4. Shazza

Thanks Dana, but here our local butchers dont cure hams etc they were done at a local abitoir but it has moved now into the city, god knows why!!! and so there isnt anywhere now to get it done. But you cant just walk in with ya middles and say cure this please. They have to have killed and cut it up to do that....stamped meat. :)

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Great site, Dana. Looks like y'all had a blast.

Shazza, check out www.sausagemaker.com. They have all kinds of books and videos on curing meats. They also have all the cures and supplies. Some of their stuff is kinda pricey so you might can find some to the stuff somewhere else cheaper once you know what to look for.

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Looks yummy!
    We butcher and cook our own hogs and sometimes we leave the skin on and sometimes we don't. We bury large hogs underground to cook overnight and we cook the smaller ones on either a horizontal cooker like yours or on a cinderblock pit.
    I like to season the skinned ones with dry rub and inject them with marinades. The outside gets crusty and it still keeps moisture in the meat. We skin the large hogs that we cook underground, I like to put apples, onions and brown sugar in the cavity.
    The skin on a hog will be more leathery if it's cooked with indirect heat, the hogs we cook on the cinderblock pit get really crispy and brown. I think that skin is almost my favorite thing on a hog! :eek:

The horizontal cooker will be too hot to smoke bacon and ham. It will work if you are going to eat or freeze the meat. Bacon and ham are usually cold smoked.
    If you do a search on this forum and the homesteading questions, you will find more about smoking and curing meat.

I forgot to mention, we use chicken wire under the hogs to help turn or lift them.

Sorry this is so long, I'm a big fan of hog cookin'!!
    Your site looks great!!!

7. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

why is it called a pig pickin? what is picked?

8. cowgirlone

We usually place the pig on a table and stand around and pick at the meat. :D

9. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

oh ok. thanks. I spent a couple years in NC when I was in the marine corps. I heard the term, but never asked what it meant

10. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Great site and a wonderful dinner I am sure. He looks good. Quite the procedure!

Shazza...making bacon is very very easy and there are numerous sites that have recipes etc. Just try a google on making bacon. You could do you bacon on Dana's type of smoker easily, just make a fire in one end to get the smoker up to around 150 degrees I believe. It has been a long time since I have done it. You need a colder smoke to keep the lard from melting. Before smoking, you can cure your bacons with a salt rub for a set period of time. If I remember correctly, it is only a day or so. Sorry I am so vague. When I make bacon this spring, I will put it on my site for you to see.

http://goldforest.blogspot.com/

11. TxCloverAngel

Great info! Yep.. for direct heat cookin I agree... nice crispy skin from that!

Now... help me out here... I wanted to do the chicken wire thing to make life way easier for moving the pig.. but everything I read says that you CAN NOT use any galvanized metal in the cooking process... (gives off a toxic something) I couldn't find any chicken wire or chain link that was not galvanized.

Did you have a hard time finding non-galvanized wire??

12. cowgirlone

You can burn the chicken wire before using. Use a blow torch if you have one.
    When we cook hogs underground, we set them on a pre-burnt sheet of galvanized tin. (it sets over the hot coals), add the hog, then we use another sheet to cover the whole hole, cover with dirt and let it cook all night.
    We use large galvanized trash cans (when we can't find non-galvanized) to cook large meals, now those need to be burnt out before use. Set the can on top of some cinder blocks over some hot coals. Fill the can with corn, tatoes, brisket, onions, etc..
    Chicken wire isn't all that dangerous, at least compaired to a sheet of tin or a can, but burning it off takes care of any problems.
    Hope this helps! I'm sorry I keep getting side tracked! :eek:

13. TxCloverAngel

Thanks for the tips Cowgirl!

14. TxCloverAngel

Oooh John! that would br great!!! My in-laws jusy moved, and they left a tin smoke house on their property, they said we could have it.. but dont have a clue.

15. Shazza

Ta John, I have bookmarked your site in readiness :) I looked up the link someone suggested and it was quite good too...although the smoke houses they sell in peices are very small. How big is the one left by your in-laws Dana? Doesnt time fly when on the land...at least if something is a thought that turns to a vision I know one day we "will" have a smoke house!!!!! Thanks people. :)

16. TxCloverAngel

it looks more like a tin box... its about 6' x 6' wide.. & 6' TALL

17. TxCloverAngel

18. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

:goodjob: I've bookmarked it for future use and I'll be passing the addy along to others. Thanks for your efforts to help the rest of us.

19. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

great site and great information. I know I may be kicked here for this, but am I the only one who thinks playing with and sticking beer bottles in the dead pig is really dissrespectfull?

20. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Enjoyed the site...very instructive. Can this be done with smaller hogs? The BBQ we use is made from a 55 gallon drum, so it's WAY smaller than your monster propane tank smoker.