pig love

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by outsideman1, Jun 24, 2005.

1. outsideman1

outsideman1 Well-Known Member

does anyone know what age pigs can take or become pregnant and can you slaughter anyway or do you need to wait until after they have the piglets
    thanks allen

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

they could reach puberty as soon as 6 months old. No you don't need to have a litter of pigs before you slaughter them. We breed ours at 8monts simply because that is how it works for us. We have large litters, they are alive and they raise them well.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

As Buck said, they can be capable as young, or even younger, as 6 months. I had one sow that must have got pregnant at just over 5 months of age as she farrowed 3 piglets before she was 9 months old. I was not amused but the piglets were healthy and she did them well.

Yes, you can slaughter while she is in pig if you wish - but I don't envy you the job of gutting if the pregnancy is fairly well advanced.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

some can get pregnant as early as 6 weeks! needless to say, that's usually not a great idea for the baby sow. You can butcher at any age or state of pregnancy form the standpoint of the meat, anything healthy will make good meat. Some people may have philosophical objections to butchering a pregnant sow, of course you may not evenknow if they are pregnant unless they are showing