Pig housing?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Ed in S. AL, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Was wondering if this set up would be big enough to raise one feeder pig at a time in.

[​IMG]

2. tresieg3

tresieg3 Active Member

YES IT IS DEFINITELY BIG ENOUGH :goodjob:

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

4. Ed in S. AL

DayBird, it looks to me like it's about 8 X 12 ft.

5. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

That looks like the pig pen in the classic book "The Have More Plan" by Scott Nearing. He and his wife , whose name escapes me (Ellen...Ellenore?) are local legends in the Northeast.
    I read the book probably 30 years ago but I remenber that pen. It would be fine for a pig. Actually I would recommend two pigs. Its overkill but it would cetainly work.
    Paul

6. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Paul, her name is Helen. :)

Ed, you can't raise just one. Why that shed looks big enough for 2-3 pigs! :sing: Old timers tell me that when you raise more than one, they will eat more because they get a little competitive at feeding time.

7. Ed in S. AL

So ya really think I could stick 2 pigs in that set up? Cool!

8. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Scott & Helen Nearing - they were New Yorkers who moved up to Vermont and then later Maine. They are characters. They really alienated a lot of local people here at the time but made a name for themselves with others through their writings. Some of their ideas are good, some aweful.

Personally I would give them more space but that will be 'enough' to raise one pig. I would also suggest keeping more than one pig at a time. It is just as easy to raise four pigs as it is to raise one. The extras can be sold to pay for the feed and other expenses making it so you effectively have free meat. Many pig breeders will even give you a little quantity discount if you buy four piglets if the demand isn't too high that year.

If you have a garden, raise the pig in the garden over the late fall, winter and early spring. In the fall let the pig Divide up the garden into four sections and move the pigs around the garden. Give them liberal amounts of hay - they will bed in it and eat it.

If you move the pigs out (butcher them) and then move chickens in for two weeks before you plant they will smooth out the soil and weed it. I do this and we have rich, organic virtually weed free gardens where it used to be subsoil on the terraces we have carved out the hill.

If you want to do it in the warm weather, than prepare a new garden space this same way by having the pigs dig it up. Then next year use the space for planting. Again use the chickens in the spring to weed it.

Cheers,

-Walter
    in Vermont

9. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

The "Have More Plan' Was written by Ed Robinson, and his wife.
    'Basically for a one acre plot". This is where that picture came from. The pen is a concrete base pen, not dirt, but dirt can be used just as well.

The Nearings (Helen and Scott)books were more geared to organic and use what you have ideals. "LiIving the good life" was one of their books" Very good read BTW.

10. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

Siryet,
    Your right. I must have read the Nearings book essentially at the same time. Anyway I'm happy I remembered the book title and the picture. I'm getting to the point where I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :)
    I also remember that the floor was concrete. That's part of what I was referring to as overkill. My impression of the design was that it was something someone might take great pride in. You know; as opposed to leaning two pallets together and covering them with a tarp: something I might do. :)

Paul

11. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Ha I'm one up on you, I only remembered because I have the have more plan book right next to my bed on my night stand. LOL

Other wise I would forget the , hum what was I saying?

Have a great day and enjoy what is so freely given to us by the man upstairs.