Pig Got out today

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TNHermit, Nov 10, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Went out to feed these persnickety things tonight. They have a fully enclosed pen 16x16 plus and 8x16 house. We have to because of the bobcats and the like. Now when you open the door to go in you have to step over a 32 inch high fence. So they just can't run out. Or so I thought. I stepped over this fence with their food and before you could say boo, hi, or howdy one of them just went right up and over. Now its 10 minutes from turning pitch black and there I was a 59 year old lard a** who's idea of a marathon is from the house to the shop. Well I'm chasing this hog all over trying to keep him from goin into the woods. All the time screamin at the top of my lungs for my neighbor who lives about 1000 ft away. Finally I wake up the dogs and they start barkin, I'm still runnin and yelling. Finally Bobby my neighbor and partner in this comes out and yells. "Anything wrong"??? I say " he** yes this da*n pig is out. All while trying to suck in some air and I'm still runnin. Fortunately there were acorns around that he would stop long enough to grab some and let me breathe. Finally Bobby comes up to help and two dogs. Well the dogs try once and run off. By this time I'm still herding this thing with a 4x8 ft piece of concrete fence I picked up as I chased him by the barn.
    Finally Bobby calls "Lady" She is and English sheep dog. Now this dog has never herded sheep. mostly ground moles. But we start to talk to her and tell her to bring the pig to us and somehow she seem to understand. She started herding this thing to keep it close to the pen and we started diving to try and catch it. Now he is 65 and as I said I'm 59 and neither has played football. So were not real good a tackling things. So while he was trying to tackle and lady was herding I went up and got some corn. IN the Hope that might help. What do I know?? About that time Bobby started yelling he had one leg. I said "hold n Andy I'm comin" Now if you ever seen Grandpa Walton run that was me. About 3 minutes after he started hollering I got there. It was at least 200 ft away. I got the other back leg and we drug that SO* back to the pen and threw it in. Bobby (he's an Alabama hillbilly) said he had never seen or heard of a pig doing that,that small. SO were thinkin since they are under an oak tree the acorns are driving them mad and they ain't gettin enough to eat. So after I do something different with the door were gonna feed them more. We been givin them everything we can find. Bread Donuts vegetables Acorns Yogurt, table scraps.ground corn. But I guarantee you they're bacon and ham for sure.

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

LOL! You know, you really need to be saving the stuff you write like this. It would make a really good book of real life experiences on the farm. Kind of like reading James Herriot's books of his veterinary practice in England.. all about the people and the animals he worked with, anecdotal style.

I have to admit I read your post out loud to my DH and we both had a good chuckle.. realizing all the time that if it had happened to us we'd both be mad as wet hens for a while.

Hope you aren't sore tomorrow!

HSH

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

LOL! Thanks for the laugh this evening! This happened to us several years back; four little, wriggling, squealing, wild piggies that DH brought home - no pen made in advance - saying "We'll just put them in with the sheep". Well-ll-ll-ll those four little piggies squeezed right through the field fence around the sheep pasture and were GONE.

I was lucky enough to be at work that afternoon, and DH and his much younger buddy got those piggies rounded up after several grueling hours, then spent the evening building an emergency pigpen. LOL!

I could have said "I told you so", but I was nice enough not to do that.

NeHi

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Too funny!!!!
    Here about a month ago ours got out and I had to chase those things around and around the house. Thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time we got them back in!

5. Redpigrunning

Redpigrunning Member

That"s a good one, if you notice I go by Redpigrunning that name is based on one of our sows running with me in tow behind her trying to hold on to the rope we had put around her.After a couple trips down the field she got to tired of it , was mad at first but we laugh at it now.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, you paint a good picture. :) Glad you all survived.

We have an English Shepherd and they are amazing dogs. They really do seem to understand what needs to be done and they figure out how to do it. Very cool.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

:rotfl:

I only need to keep mine in 21 more days...

I do have a border collie that will have loads of fun if they do get loose.
    42# herding 250# :hobbyhors

8. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

A decent 45 pound dog will put a 200 pound human to shame when it comes to pushing pigs!

Pete