Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought five piglets between 40 - 50 pounds at the first of May, thinking that I would need 3000 pounds of 18% to finish them off. Well I will be out of food in about a week and they measured out at 210 pounds. Last fall I bought 2000 pounds of 12% sweet feed for the horses (trying to save money per pound) and have not used much of it, I have about 1500 pounds of it left. What are your thoughts on finishing the pigs off on the sweet feed, also does the weight gain seem a little light on these pigs. Thank You.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
DRL said:
I bought five piglets between 40 - 50 pounds at the first of May, thinking that I would need 3000 pounds of 18% to finish them off. Well I will be out of food in about a week and they measured out at 210 pounds. Last fall I bought 2000 pounds of 12% sweet feed for the horses (trying to save money per pound) and have not used much of it, I have about 1500 pounds of it left. What are your thoughts on finishing the pigs off on the sweet feed, also does the weight gain seem a little light on these pigs. Thank You.
Did you worm them? Are they under stress (heat,cold,wet)?
Also, how often are you feeding them. If you feed twice a day they seem less likely to waste it as they are hungry.

The growth you have gotten really isn't bad because you got 160-170 per pig or 825 lbs of hog for 3000 pounds or a feed ratio of 3.6 not too shabby.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stan, I have not wormed them. They have food and water available to them at all times, it was a hot and dry June and July here. The five of them are in a pen that is about 150' x 120' with lots of trees for shade, and a three sided building for shelter that is on a cement pad about 30' x 30'. Maybee that growth rate is not to bad, I just seem to be going through more food than I have in the past. Thank you.

·
Unapologetically me
22,008 Posts
18% might be a bit high for the bigger pigs.
What kind of pigs are they?
Barrows or gilts?
Gilts won't convert feed like barrows will, and heat will affect their performance.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
To start with, the sweet feed will be fine.

Most market hogs finish around 220 -230 lbs, so your pigs are right on track. Factors such as the heat can slow them down. Personally I like big meaty pork chops so I raise mine to around 300 lbs, or whenever the snow flies. Not as efficient, but my feed is free so it doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I like my pigs a little bigger than average too. I have connections with a big hog farmer that buys feed by the ton. I get my feed for $5 a bag. (50 lb. bags) Usually Purina feed. So, I am able to feed mine out for a lot less $$ than normal. He is getting me a ton of broiler feed this weekend. Same price. I have 102 broilers I am feeding out to butcher.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Wendy said:
I like my pigs a little bigger than average too. I have connections with a big hog farmer that buys feed by the ton. I get my feed for $5 a bag. (50 lb. bags) Usually Purina feed. So, I am able to feed mine out for a lot less $$ than normal. He is getting me a ton of broiler feed this weekend. Same price. I have 102 broilers I am feeding out to butcher.
You know, I've got friends who get jealous over clothes and shoes and cars...I am jealous of your feed prices...holy buckets, $5 per 50#? I'm swearing really mean things right now... :flame: Does your friend have any connections in northern coastal totally remote California? You luck dog you!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
You know, I've got friends who get jealous over clothes and shoes and cars...I am jealous of your feed prices...holy buckets, $5 per 50#? I'm swearing really mean things right now... Does your friend have any connections in northern coastal totally remote California? You luck dog you!
It sure is nice to have connections! The price at the feed mill where I get my other feed is almost $12 for 50 lbs.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Jcran said:
You know, I've got friends who get jealous over clothes and shoes and cars...I am jealous of your feed prices...holy buckets, $5 per 50#? I'm swearing really mean things right now... :flame: Does your friend have any connections in northern coastal totally remote California? You luck dog you!
Any grain grown in you area? If so buy directly from a farmer at harvest time (by the ton), bring to a mill, and have them make you a custom general purpose mix. I'd shoot for 16 - 18% protein.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
hahahaha! We have grass and redwoods; not grain country at all (now, we are FAMOUS for one type of grass but it's the legal grass that I refer to)...and while our grass grows year round down on the bottoms by the ocean/rivers, mine dries out by late August. I pay 13.70 for 75# bags of pig food but I also get free bread and bakery items about 2/3 days a week. This morning the pig ate a number of donuts along with her usual fare of hay, grain and sourdough baguettes. However, the bakery stuff doesn't come close to giving me the deal that you've got.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.