Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have come up with an affordable swine feed mix for our 3 Duroc/Berkshire feeder pigs, and the nutrient calculations seem ok to me without a premix. It is a sorghum, oats, wheat, sunflower meal, rice protein, and cracked peas mix. They also get some table scraps but don't have pasture. How important is a hog mineral? Should I at least add salt or will they be fine without it?
Thanks!

When I run the numbers I get:
14.14% protein
3.17% fat
5.28% fiber
1.07% lysine
0.70% phosphorus

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Hello all,
I have come up with an affordable swine feed mix for our 3 Duroc/Berkshire feeder pigs, and the nutrient calculations seem ok to me without a premix. It is a sorghum, oats, wheat, sunflower meal, rice protein, and cracked peas mix. They also get some table scraps but don't have pasture. How important is a hog mineral? Should I at least add salt or will they be fine without it?
Thanks!

When I run the numbers I get:
14.14% protein
3.17% fat
5.28% fiber
1.07% lysine
0.70% phosphorus
Sounds good. Nice diet for PIgs. They get enough Salt in the food you feed them However it won,t hurt to mix in a small amount of salt. No seeds from fruit for sure. Like Apple , Peach, etc. Lots of wild veg. raw is not good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks! I sometimes get them the fruits and vegetables from the discount table at the farmer's market. They have something different every time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts