Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there we had a little 9 month old kune piglet die the other day. he wheezed all winter and i tried antibiotics for pneumonia a couple times but he just never seemed to get well. when another pig started coughing really bad i did some research and realized it was lungworm. we had not wormed them. everyone got a round of wormer and the pig who coughed realy bad got better. the sickly one tho just kept on looking bad. i think i waited too long to treat him. shame on me i know this is our first year raising pigs and we've got a lot to learn.

anyway, i tried treating him a second time with ivermectin and a heavy dose of penicillin because he had a lot of thick green boogers in his nose. we use heavy doses of penicillin because thats what our vet recommends and it worked very well for our sow who got erysipelas, when the low doses failed to work. he was dead a couple hours later. not sure if the drugs killed him or if he was just too sick to go on poor guy. either way thats 70 lbs of meat that unfortunately we dont get to eat. we are hoping to feed him to the dogs tho. is that ok? im sure commercial dog food has a ton of nasty stuff in it. im not sure how strong a dose the dogs will be getting of the antibiotics and ivermectin tho. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I had this happen after giving a cat penicillin once. I think that once the infection hits their heart or lungs, the penicillin isnt going to work and just kills them off faster

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey there we had a little 9 month old kune piglet die the other day. he wheezed all winter and i tried antibiotics for pneumonia a couple times but he just never seemed to get well. when another pig started coughing really bad i did some research and realized it was lungworm. we had not wormed them. everyone got a round of wormer and the pig who coughed realy bad got better. the sickly one tho just kept on looking bad. i think i waited too long to treat him. shame on me i know this is our first year raising pigs and we've got a lot to learn.

anyway, i tried treating him a second time with ivermectin and a heavy dose of penicillin because he had a lot of thick green boogers in his nose. we use heavy doses of penicillin because thats what our vet recommends and it worked very well for our sow who got erysipelas, when the low doses failed to work. he was dead a couple hours later. not sure if the drugs killed him or if he was just too sick to go on poor guy. either way thats 70 lbs of meat that unfortunately we dont get to eat. we are hoping to feed him to the dogs tho. is that ok? im sure commercial dog food has a ton of nasty stuff in it. im not sure how strong a dose the dogs will be getting of the antibiotics and ivermectin tho. what do you guys think?
I believe Ivermectin is fatal to dogs. Used to say on the label. I would not feed the pig to the dog. Bummer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh dear I already cut him up. Ill have to research the ivermectin thing. I cut out the sections of meat where the injections were, you could see the penicillin had not absorbed much at all yet. The ivermectin don't know.

Dogs have been living off human scraps for millennia, and pork has made a substantial proportion of that diet because of their quick growth and fat. So I don't believe pork is going to hurt them.

Also, predators usually take down the weakest sickest animals so I'm not worried about them eating the meat cuz he was sick. It will be cooked thoroughly I'm any case.

I am most worried about ivermectin since I did not see the lesion to cut it out. Will have to look up low doses of ivermectin in dogs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well just looked it up, ivermectin is safe up to .9 mg/lb. We injected the pig with 1 ml of liquid ivermectin which contains 10 mg of ivermectin. So 10 mg spaced over 30 lbs of meat or so cooked up for em once a week for 4 dogs? Should be just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts