Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you're asking for... To create a warm heat reflective brooder for chicks and piglets we make hovers that are a box frame of 2x2's, PVC or rebar and then cover with Foil-Bubble-Bubble-Foil. This hovers a few inches above the deep pack bedding. It is quite warm in there without any electric lights. Originally I had used lights in them but found they were not necessary for the heat and I don't like the wasted money or fire risk of the lights. The foil and insulation improve it a bit. Even a flipped over kiddie pool or water trough does the trick to a degree. Just about any structure that captures and reflects back the heat helps.

See:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2013/01/23/crisply-cold-like-broken-glass/

Cheers,

-Walter

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I would be curious also, I may just be ignorant of the subject? I know what a brooder is for chicks, but not sure how do you use one for pigs? Are we talking about piglets you have removed from the sow?? Or just piglets hatched during really cold weather??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry if terminology was not correct. I have seen where a warming box/area was put in barn so little pigs could huddle up and stay toasty. I am hoping to have litters born end of March. We live in Mid Atlantic area so it could be 50* or 15*. I have seen barrels with side cut out and lamp above. Just looking for options

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Ok, I understand now. Actually this may be something I have to do as I will have sows farrowing again probably around the first of the year or a bit after, will be cold here for sure. I will be curious to see what you come up with. I may have to copy some of you guys ideas. I have some open air horse stall I will probably move the sows in to farrow and I have electricity there so I could provide a light or heat source if needed. I will watch this thread for updates. Walter thanks for your ideas on different designs also.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here's what I built last winter. I thought I had better pics of it. It's basically just a dog house looking box. The top hinges so I can close the front and grab them easily for iron shots, ear notching, teeth clipping time. I put it in the area closed off from momma. My winter litter only came out when they heard mom's come and get it grunts until they got older and it warmed a tad. I think I am going to make varying stages of box sizes that I can use according to what all is going on...litter number, piglet age and size, weather, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts