Pieced granite vanity top

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LaurieP, Dec 8, 2006.

1. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

I've been offered some pieces of granite, all a bit small for my vanity top. All have 1/2 circle piece cut out of one edge as well. Wondering about piecing some together. What would be needed to cut it? Anyone done this, & how did it turn out? Reommendations how to do the grout?

2. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

Pieces of granite tile or pieces of granite slabs??

3. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

Hi Mrs Oz. These are granite slabs, left over pieces from a job.

4. oz in SC

Normally granite slabs are cut with a bridge saw. But since you probably don't have one of those laying around, you could try a hand held grinder w/ a diamond blade, one that says it can be used for granite. There are different grades. You could also try a circular saw. Granite is just sooooooo hard. This may or may not work. Do you know any tile installers?? They could try their wet saw, but this is iffy also. The biggest problem I see is if the two edges that have to be seamed together have to be cut, it's unlikely that cutting it with either one of these methods would provide a clean cut with no chips. Therefore, you end up with a messy seam. Does the person who offered them to you have the ability to cut the pieces? Here's a link I found that may help. Good luck with your project.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_kitchens/article/0,2037,DIY_13925_2373859,00.html

5. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

Thanks Mrs Oz. The person offering does not have the means to cut it. There is a stone place in a nearby town, & I can see what they'd charge. I'm almost afraid to ask, as they wanted $400 for a 2 ft square "remnant". I'll check around for tile folks as well. Not sure how it'd look pieced together, though. Are you saying you'd try to piece it & not use grout/mortar?

6. oz in SC

Oops sorry, forgot to answer that part. The seam where the two pieces go together need to be put together with epoxy. On the surface, to completely seal that, I would probably use either clear or black silicone caulk, whichever one will disappear more with the colors in the granite. Question........how are you doing a sink cut out, or is there already one in the piece?

7. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

The pieces all have a C-shaped hunk cut out of them on one side. I'd have to see if any are the right size cutout for my sink. If not, maybe would need too many cuts to be worthwhile? Took me a bit to answer, as I was getting a batch of yogurt going & a round of apples in the dehydrator. Thanks for the info on the epoxy & caulk.