Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am still on the lookout for a really good pie crust recipe and am not used to making pies.

I made a Pumpkin Pie a couple of weeks ago and the crust shrank? What did I do wrong? I would love to be able to make a couple of pies for Thanksgiving including Pumpkin but am hoping that the crust won't 'shrink'

Can anyone help me? I would sure appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
what flour did you use? try pastry flour. if you prick the crust before baking or use pie weights that may also help. some use beans but they can not be used after you bake them.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
You can't use beans or pie weights in pumpkin pie since the filling cooks in the crust.

This is my absolute favourite recipe:

Foolproof Pie Crust

4 cups flour
1 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1-3/4 cups shortening -- do not use lard (although I have on occasion)
1/2 cup water
1 Tbs. white vinegar
1 egg

In large bowl, stir together with fork flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In small bowl, beat together water, vinegar and egg; add to flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are moistened. Divide dough in 5 portions and shape into flat rounds reading for rolling. Wrap each in waxed paper (or plastic wrap) and chill for 30+ minutes. No matter how much you work this dough, it will stay flaky and not get tough.

Reactions: Tirzah

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I always use the standard crust, 1/3 cup shortening chopped into 1 cup all purpose flour and about 4 to 5 tablespoons water. Does 1 crust bottom, for double crust, double ingredients. I did read for perfect crust substitute between 1 and 2 tablespoons vodka for the water. The alcohol evaporates during baking and supposedly makes a flakier crust. My wife's grandmother used egg instead of most of the water, this seems to me to be more of a noodle.

·
Registered
507 Posts
To stop it shrinking, let the pastry rest for 5 minutes after you roll it but before you use it (unstick it from the worktop first) and be very sure not to stretch it when you put it into the case.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone! I apologize for not acknowledging your replies sooner, we had the flu at our home. I appreciate the recipes and tips and will find out soon how the Pumpkin Pie turns out :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
...yet a thought about pie can cross an entire continent in seconds and make me gut laugh. Near and far, we are the same persons and eat the same pie.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for making me smile Bret :) Come to think of it, a whole pie has been known to easily shrink around my honey :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts