Pictures - Pygmy or Nigerian Dwarf

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jtdl, Nov 6, 2006.

1. jtdl

jtdl Well-Known Member

Ok, I found a way to share my pictures. Please follow this link to pics of both goats. Remington is a known Nigerian Dwarf. Moose is the one I'm not sure of. Moose now is much bigger around the middle, but other than that, they both look to me to have the same build and features. What do you think Moose is? Thanks for your help!

http://community.webshots.com/user/jtdlmc

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

He deffinately looks more like pygme to me. They have a wider build. Nigerians generall keep the narrow build even when over weight.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I'd say pygmy too, but it's possible it's a nigerian/pygmy cross. Definetely pygmy in there, that's one of the most common colors that pygmies come in. They're cute. :)

4. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

There is a very good chance Moose is a Pygmy. The color is right for what we call an
    agouti black. It is hard to tell on the head and if he has a good dish to the nose and whether the heighth is correct to the standards. But most likely yes. Looks to me like those two will get along great.

5. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

From looking at him there is no way he could be a pygmy or a pygmy cross IMHO. He is to long in the body and legs. Face is to narrow and squarish. To dairy looking and not stocky like the pygmys I have seen at all. Even poor bred pygmys. I can't even see any pygmy at all in him. His coloring looks like a pygmy but I have seen many a nigerian with that coloring. Pygmys also have thick wooly coats not to mention the stocky SHORT legs unlike your fellow there. He is probably filling out as he looks older than the other one.

Here is a website for Nigerians
    http://www.camanna.com/

If you notice many of those does and bucks have "large" stomachs and are slightly shorter but they are more refined through the legs.

Here is a Pygmy buck
    http://www.goldensunriseranch.com/mycustompage0024.htm
    Notice how stocky and short legged he is? Also his thick coat.

Here are some does
    http://www.goldensunriseranch.com/mycustompage0004.htm

If you look at their legs you will notice how thick and stocky they are. I would say that Moose is a full blood nigerian dwarf as I really see no pygmy what so ever in him. Not in his type or anything. Even poorly bred pygmys look different than nigerians. But thats my 2 cents and my case :) . But I really do think he is pure nigerian...I just don't see any pygmy..if anything he is a bit tall for a nigerian dwarf :shrug: .

MotherClucker

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I'm really perplexed at the people who say Moose is pygmy. Where do you guys see that? Moose has a slender head and longish legs, not the stockier, beer keg on wheels description allotted to pygmies. And the color? Sure looks black to me. Agouti, a common pyg color (though it has crept into the nigie world and is now actually being an acceptable pattern) is a variation of salt n pepper. Moose to me, is at least mostly nigerian.

7. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Moose looks ND....

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If I was just going by color, I'd say Pygmy, but if he is pygmy, he isn't all pygmy..... :nono: His body is long and dairy, not thick and chunky. He has a refined head like a ND, and longer legs than a Pygmy. And no Pygmy belly either, he is slender but well-fed. I'd vote for ND or ND/Pygmy cross. Probably ND......he sure is pretty! I love that color.

9. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

It is hard to say for sure at different stages. I have some that go thru the "what we call the deery stage" and for the barrell. That doesn.t always develope immediately. I have some that don't show a barrell until after they're bred. I also have a wether that is just three(3) and weighs a whopping 90+ lbs. He is tall and big but nut necessarily in the barrell. I'm just saying the possibility is there for pygmy but... You are right emily about the head I mean. and the legs. As I mentioned bbefore, I would question those qualities. Sooo...maybe you are right a cross?:)

10. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I'm thinking Nigerian crossed with something other than Pygmy, like maybe a Cashmere. Or maybe he's pure Cashmere, I mean look at that coat! In two of the pictures he looks like he's got a very thick undercoat, then in the rest, he looks slicked down like a Nigerian, or a Cashmere in summer coat. Were the pictures taken several months apart?

He just doesn't look to me as though he is displaying any of the dwarfism typical of pygmies. He also looks taller than either Nigerians or Pygmies. There are lots of black Cashmeres. Also, ten years or so ago, there were many, many very well-bred Nigerians around that were exactly that color. People were breeding for type and production, with color being way behind in the priority ranking. Buckskins and blacks (with frosted nose and ears) were everywhere. If you got a goat with white markings, oh happy day!

11. jtdl

jtdl Well-Known Member

Yes Laura, you are right, Moose does have a much, much thicker coat than Remi. When I brushed him out in the spring I literally got handfuls of grey "wool". His coat did slick down during the summer and now is filling in again much thicker than Remi's.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that both of them have "waddles" (two little hanging things) on their necks. Is that common to Nigerians?

Thanks for all your opinions. I think that the general conscensus is that he is at least part Nigerian Dwarf.

12. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Yep, some Nigerians have wattles.

13. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

14. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Moose looks a lot like a Kinder to me:) Are his ears longer than Remington's?

15. jtdl

jtdl Well-Known Member

PygmyLover - They are both just over one year old. Again, I am sure of that with Remi, but Moose, in my opinion, has an "older" look to him than Remi, although if what I have read about the teeth and age is correct, his teeth do put him at one year. Your picture looks alot like Moose except the shape of the head, but that could just be because of the difference of horns/no horns, and Moose has a thicker coat. So I am now thinking that he is definitely at least part ND with a cross somewhere in his lineage with a longer coat breed.

Trisha - Moose doesn't have longer ears - they are pretty much the same size as Remi's. I have never heard of a Kinder before, I'll do a search and have a look at them.