Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bunch of threads here and there and have not seen much that show a lot of pigs so why not start one. If y'all could share pics of your pigs, wiener pigs, housing and anything else that involves with your pigs that'd be great!

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1415165599.166861.jpg
Here is one of when I got my feeders this year, first day in their new house. Eating bread with good ole jersey milk!

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1415165658.232891.jpg
Snacking on a pumpkin after Halloween! They sure do love pumpkins.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1415165725.398943.jpg
Here they are in their new little paddock, gotta till up the dirt for next years garden. They sure were excited about the new grass.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1415165832.148344.jpg
Last one, a good ole belly rub after a good days work of tilling. They are so funny and entertaining.

Share your pics of your pigs yall!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know i dont post much but i love looking at pics and sharing pics. I love the red spotted pig. I will be picking up a pure GOS Boar this weekend. To hopefully give me those spots.
We have 1 red wattle girl im loving her temperament and how she is growing. A new Berkshire girl and last a mutt mixed york, hamp girl.
Cant wait for babies next yr. And seeing which mix or mixes do best. Then whoever passes ill keep gilts out of. Really got high hopes for the wattle she is a sweet pig and im hopping for some red spotted pigs lol.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39257&stc=1&d=1415200393
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39258&stc=1&d=1415200455
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39260&stc=1&d=1415200581

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will play because I love posting pictures of our pigs!

We are in the process of renovating a pig barn that hasn't been used in about 30 years. This is our first two pens - on the right some weaner American Mulefoot gilts, and on the left some nursing Mulefoots

Some friends stopped by to visit this week, so of course I put them to work! Some Mulefoots in the background, as well as a couple of new Berkshire litters

The other side of the barn we are renovating. We found some used conveyor belt material and made flaps to hopefully allow in and out privileges, as well as winter insulation

Taken tonight - I love the "dog pile" of new piglets! These are week old Berkshires

One of the little Mulefoot gilts getting nosy with the camera

Some Berk babies - a couple of hours old

Two week old Berk babies snuggled up to momma

Taking delivery of feed - my son on top of the bin, and our Berkshire gilts in the foreground

Me holding a week old Berk and a big smile :)

Yea, that may be more than needed, but like I said, I like posting pictures!

Our facility is an old pig barn that was built in the '30s or 40's, and has not been used for the past 30 years. My son and I cleaned, fixed, renovated, configured, and reconfigured, over the past year. We started with a bred Mulefoot sow last November, and we are now up to 55 pigs! We have 10 Berkshire sows/gilts as breeders and 1 Berkshire boar, and 3 American Mulefoot sows and 1 Mulefoot boar. The balance are all piglets born since March of this year! Lots of challenges, but one of the most rewarding things I have done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The black belted gilt is the one that just had the pigs. My son posted the pictures in another post. The red belted gilt that my grand daughter is hanging on is probably going to deliver within a few weeks. The old spot boar is the sire of the pigs that he posted. We sold him. We are going to try AI when we wean our pigs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are all great yall! Keep em coming. I got to say pigs are now my top 5 favorite livestock now after raising em. I can't wait to start breeding pigs. Seems like a buncha work but a lot of fun and rewards. Thanks yall who have posted pics I'd love to see more. :)

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Breed management is a lot of fun. It's a long term project, keeping track of lots of data, playing with statistics, understanding genetics, picking the traits to aim for in our herds, managing the shifting around of breeders between groups, culling each week to market. It's very rewarding to look at how far we've come in the past nearly twelve years, and to look forward at where we're going. I like breeding.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
We've found that the floppy ears are more prone to frost bite so I've been breeding away from them towards short, thick upright ears. Thing polar bears and arctic wolves. An adaptation for our cold northern central Vermont mountain climate.

On the other hand, in a hot climate I can see the floppy ears as being useful for lowering their body condition. Think African elephants.

-Walter

·
Registered
40 Posts
We've found that the floppy ears are more prone to frost bite so I've been breeding away from them towards short, thick upright ears. Thing polar bears and arctic wolves. An adaptation for our cold northern central Vermont mountain climate.

On the other hand, in a hot climate I can see the floppy ears as being useful for lowering their body condition. Think African elephants.

-Walter
Hmm things to think about. I really love the floppy ears. Had planed to use LB and Gos heavily in my genetics as I like those floppy ears plus both breds are a gentle. Guess I'll watch him threw the winter and see how he does.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Great pigs everybody! I LOVE looking at pigs! I grabbed a few to add.

I started with feeding out one butcher barrow. Then bought a gilt to feed out, but we fell in love riding
in the front seat of the truck together on the way home and I swore to her I wouldn't eat her....lol. I've
had 2 litters thus far now, have fed out a couple more barrows, have 11 females for breeding, 3 boars
and am starting to get customers for feeding out pigs for.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts