PICTURES!! of our herd

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by ONThorsegirl, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Hi Everyone, I thought I would post some pictures of our herd:
    All of the calves pictured are off of this bull:
    100% fullblood Limousin Bull, Irvendale Molson
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LIMO/HEREFORD/HOLSTEIN Bull, now a steer, and alot heavier!
    [​IMG]

Our calves, the Black/White cow at the back is the Dam of the above steer.
    [​IMG]

A Limo Cross heifer
    [​IMG]

Take a look and tell me what you think,

Melissa

2. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    Well, I'm not an expert on cattle, but your toplines are so level and nice, they look great!

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I don't know what they are suppose to be,

But they sure are handsome and healthy looking. Very nice.

Angie

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Very nice cattle. You should be pleased.

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

6. ONThorsegirl

Thanks for the kind words,

These are just our beef cattle, all of the calves are this years calves the hed herford cross calf is now almost 800 pounds, he is going to be my steer for show and sale next ear, a good way to raise a bit of money for continuing my college final year next year. I'm currently a first year Agriculture student.

Melissa

7. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

I like your cattle, the bull looks nice (he sure's got some butt!), the black-Hereford cow looks really nice too. Just curious, is the bull calf in the second pic a Limmi too? He sure looks like he could be a good show calf...

Good pics, Melissa, thanks for sharing. :)

8. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

One other thing: what are you studying in Agriculture?

9. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

10. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice cattle, but what's up with the one with it's face right above a broken fence board with nails sticking up? The cattle I've known would chew and pull out those nails which could = a big problem for you.

11. ONThorsegirl

Thanks Everyone,

This is the last year we are going to keep this bull as he is throwing to large of calves at birth, the caleves definitly produce nice but we have never had a first calf heifer calve unassisted! These calves are coming out huge.

Im taking general Agriculture, its just a 2 year diploma program, at Kemptville college, in Ontario. Great course I really like it! Lots of fun, and we learn lots too!

The second picture is a bull calf, his Dam is a herford, and his dad is Molson, I definitly wasn't expecting the calf to be that light of a bay but I guess we can't guess about, way beyond farmers. We just have to wait and see.

The heifer was just about to scratch her neck on the hay wagon, with the loose nails. The hay wagon we had just pulled into the barnyard to unload the fence posts. It wasn't in there long.

Melissa

12. phantompark

phantompark Well-Known Member

Rump roasts galore! Wow!

13. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

ONThorsegirl:

How calm are your cattle? I understand that there are Canadian Limousins that are gentle as milk cows where those down in this part of the country are flighty.

When I moved onto this place I bought three nice limo heifers and kept them for 5 years. I never did get them tame enough to pen without them trying to climb out of the chute. I finally said thwit and took them to market and went all Angus. Now I have to be careful that my cows do not swallow my hand when I hand them a cube. I catch and weigh newborns in the pasture without incident so long as I give mama a few cubes beforehand.

I have only known one man here with a mild-mannered Limo bull, and even that one had to be put in his place now and then.

14. ONThorsegirl

Thanks once again for the Nice Words!!!

Oxankle...our experience with the Limo's, we have 2 registered black limo cows, and registered black 2 yr old heifer.

As well as 2 Red Cows, and one red 2 yr old heifer, 1 yearling heifer.

I will get right down to it:

Black cow#1- Friendly, you can pet her and she doesn't mind-previously shown as a calf.

Black heifer, off of Cow#1- I showed her last year, she is friendly, was good from get go, you could handle and fool around with her, she was never wild or anything.

Black Cow #2- LOVES HER GRAIN, she will allow to be petted when eatting but rather flighty in the field.

RED Cows

Red Cow #1- Very Friendly, love sto be touched and petted, you almost have to push her out of the way if she is in your way tractor, or on foot doesn't matter, very laid back.

Red Heifer off of Cow #1- Wild, we trained her for show last year she did alright at the show but was still crazy, she is very flighty and can't get close.

Yearling heifer- Wild, we trained her this year for show, she is crazy, likes to get away, will defintily take you for a ride!!

Red Cow#2- sortof flighty, nervous almost. Keeps a distance.

Bull- as you have probably read we are selling him as the calve sare to big but recently as he is getting older, started when he was 3 he started testing us, coming up head down, and would come close, he has yet to come right at us but will continue with his head down at us, we don't walk in without a stick!

Overall, our best experience has been with the black 2 yr old heifer and the Red Cow #1, the only full bloods are the bull and the Red Cow #2 and red yearling. Is this a coincidence that these are the ones causing the problems? I don't know, all of the others are papered purebreds but not 100% it is definitly the way these cows are raised, but nothing has happened at our farm for these particular cows to be so nervous.

If you look at the rest of the herd, they are all easily concidered pets, you can rub, brush or what ever with all the other cows, they never make a big deal and are all relativly gentle-as a cow can be, our cows don't realize their bellies are 4.5 feet wide, we just get in the way sometimes! :p

Melissa

SORRY I kind of went on and on.

15. ONThorsegirl

So don't get me wrong, I like the Limo's they produce nice calves, good weight gains but overall it is definitly true they are more flighty than other breeds and defintily the crossbreeds are more docile and easy to deal with.

Melissa

16. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Well, that took care of any illusions I ever had of getting some gentle limousins. I was just sure you were going to tell me that your big, good looking brute was docile.

I always thought I would like to have some red cattle on green grass but here Herefords take a dock at the sale barn and I have had all the Oklahoma Limousins I ever want to see. I'm not much on spotted cows either.

I suppose I will stick with my Angus.

17. ONThorsegirl

I'll tell you this much, our Limo's are docile compared to many of the charlais I have seen, the men at the sale barn clear the way when any type of Charlais is coming in.

I guess you guys don't have many Red Angus out your way?

I know what you mean about he hereford taking a beating at the sale barns! Breed them to something that throws colour or at least to get some colour around their eyes, they are then no longer Herefords. With the coloured patches around their eyes they are more like Simmentals.

Melissa

18. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I was raised on a Black Angus farm and really have always thought they were "the best". After seeing those pics of yours-wow...was I wrong. Your cattle looks great. Beautiful herd! I'm envious!

19. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

WOW! Those are amazing calves. Our neighbor raises Limos and they are really nice looking too. Seem to be gentle. I had to wait about 5 mins before the one would get outta the way of my truck so I could leave. I even honked and they just looked at me! HAHA!