Pictures of my Rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rachel K., Nov 15, 2005.

1. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

I thought that I would share some pictures of my Rabbit with everyone.

She is a two year old Doe. I don't know what breed she is but she appears to be a Californian. Her name is Basil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't she adorable? ;)

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Ooooh! Basil's a beauty! She does look to be a Californian. Are you going to breed her?

NeHi Mama

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

She is SO CUTE! She looks like a proper little lady, look at the prissy way she is stting. :D

4. Lena

Lena Well-Known Member

Oh Rachel what a lovley rabbit you have!!!!!
    She really looks like a well mannered little thing!
    You should breed her to a nice buck and have little basils. :goodjob:

I was wondering if You are "Rachel's Herd" on goatweb.
    btw My goatweb username is Chedder. :rolleyes:

5. Rachel K.

Thanks everyone.

I haven't really considered breeding her. My siblings do have Mini Lop Bucks but I don't think the two breeds would make such a cute baby. ;)

Hey Lena,

Yes I am "Rachel's Herd" from Goatweb. small word huh? lol :D

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

AWW, you know that the babies would be cute no matter what! Babies are ALWAYS cute! And ya know ya want some ;) .

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

She looks like a real sweetie! Prissy? I don't think so... that first picture... I just know what she's planning. Escape and taunt the people for 5 hours, waiting till they get five inches away and then hopping off. Or perhaps she's just an attention hound :D

What you need a nice Californian buck. Then Californian babies... after a few generations, you could have the babies pedigreed and then...

8. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty sure she is Californian, all the markings and stuff.
    Pretty nice looking doe, I say breed 'er!

Maybe find local breeders, for a small fee will breed their bucks do her.
    But that's your choice if you really want to breed or not, I guess it's just my enjoyment in breeding.

9. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Great little doe! Looks like a Cal to me too.

I just got a pair of Cals today! They are a couple of years old, but I am hoping that I can get the doe bred. She has had a few litters before I got her. The buck is pretty good, but the doe was a show rabbit and won several legs! I didn't know that they were pedigreed until he handed me a packet with papers in it; said they went with the rabbits. The doe has won a total of six legs! All before she was a senior and was bred and not shown anymore.

Iowa is not too far from Illinois; send her over for a visit over the Holidays! Then you can have 'bunnies' for Christmas! :)

10. Rachel K.

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone. ;)

She is actually just a pet but I do have to admit that it would be fun to have baby bunnies! I have had Rabbits for years and never once bred one of them.

11. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Rachel ,,
    How much does she weigh ?? she does look adorable ,, :sing:

yes babies are fun ,,,, but if you don't have a market for them and you don't plan on filling the freezer ,, keep her as an adored pet and don't breed her ,,

but if you are wanting to put some meat in the freezer ,, if you bred her with the mini - lop buck ,, if she's a 'standard' Californian she should weigh 8 - 10 pounds as an adult if I'm remembering weights correctly ,,

I would think ,, you would still get decent sized fryers by 9 - 10/11 weeks ,, lol you can always cook 2 at once ,, I've read that many a dwarf breeder uses culls as two person meals or cooks two for the family ,,,

just don't get attatched to / or 'name' the fryers ,, My 3 'breeders' will be petted and loved untill they pass away ,, but due to hubbys reluctance to butcher ,, the 2 does don't have but 3 to 4 litters a year ,, lol and hubby swears I'm overbreeding :rolleyes:

Tammy

12. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Rachel! Where are you in Iowa? I am in northwest Iowa and have a very nice Cal buck that I got and have 3 very nice little does that I kept from that litter. I have another litter on the way by him. If she needs a friend, and you want to breed her, let me know. I'd be interested in helping you!

13. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Rachel, I would say Basil looks like a purebred Californian, she's fine boned and looks to be the right size. Any idea how much she weighs? If she's been tattooed in the left ear, that's also a good clue. Tammy's right though, please don't breed unless you plan to eat the offspring or you have a reliable market for them. Those ARE nice pictures.

Tarot Farm, you ought to try showing your doe again! If she can get one more leg as a senior (adult), then she could be a Grand Champion! Six legs is pretty cool...I have a brood doe with ONE leg and I'm happy.

14. Rachel K.

Tucker,

I'm not quite sure how much she weighs. After holding her I would have to guess between...oh maybe Eight to Ten pounds. She is a big girl.

dunroven,

I'm from Dyersville Iowa.

rabbitgal,

Basil isn't tattooed in her left ear. I actually got her from someone in Dyersville who was having a garage sale. They were selling baby Rabbits for $2.00 each and my mom bought me one as I had just had a Rabbit pass away. She looks to be purebred to me as well. I wonder if she actually is.

And no I more then likely won't breed her. She is just a pet. I have to admit that it would be fun to breed her though.