Pictures of my little herd

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by pygmywombat, Nov 6, 2005.

1. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

This is Isabelle (Goliath's Cindy of Al Mon Farm). She's a 7, almost 8 year old Guernsey.

[​IMG]

This is Shiloh (Holstein steer) and Shobi, Isabelle's newest calf, a purebred Guernsey heifer. This was taken last month. They are both a lot bigger. Shobi is nearly 400 lbs and Shiloh is closing in on 300.

[​IMG]

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Isabelle is certainly a beautiful cow!!!
    Is she raising both calves?

3. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

Looks like one of her quarters is damged did she get mastitis?

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

AWWW, they are SOOO cute!

5. pygmywombat

No, its not damaged, its just very empty from a hungry calf. She is nursing both calves- I seperate them at night and milk once a day in the mornings. Those two can keep her udder so empty and floppy its unbelievable.

6. Goat Freak

How old are Shilo and Shobie? Just wanted to know because Shobi looks a LOT older than Shilo, or is it a type of breed thing?

7. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

Ha, do they have favorite teats? I know whenever I loose a twin lamb the remaining twin will only nurse on his/her teat, and the one the other twin would nurse on has to be milked out. Quite a pain but kind of funny.

8. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful animals. I like the little triange shaped hats - PBR bull star Dueces Wild has!

Lynda

9. pygmywombat

Shobi was born 7/11/05 and Shiloh was born 8/25/05.

No favorite teats- when they nurse they rotate from teat to teat. I have not had a calf yet who will only drink from one- which is good because that would make OAD milking really hard!

10. Goat Freak

Thank you for answering my question, I kinda figured that she was older due to her size. Well once again thanks, bye.

11. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

What pretty, healthy cattle-- She looks great for her age, and certainly doing her job! well done!

Thanks for the picture

Susie :goodjob:

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I had always thought Guernseys were smaller than Holsteins -- apparent not, eh?!

You have a lovely cow there, Pygmy, and the calves look absolutely wonderful!

Funny I was just posting on another thread about how calves turn out so much better when they're raised on an actual cow :D ... the proof's in the puddin'!

13. pygmywombat

Well, the calves are over a month apart. Shobi has about a 100 pound lead over Shiloh and is holding it. But I think in a few months Shiloh is going to start packing on the pounds and dwarf her. He better- he's destined for the freezer next August or September :D.

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Finish the little guy off with corn meal, approx 45 days before. I did this (not on purpose) with a steer. The place that butchered him said it was very good looking meat. Good fat layer. Corn meal is inexpensive feed, and will pack it on. I was feeding about 5lbs or so, he didn't get fat. But he did gain muscle. Was 900 or so, 950 before he came over (august). I taped him about 1150 (late sept), he had a hanging weight of 600 or so (october).

edit: I added the the daily weight gain. Lets call him 1000 in August (dont want to inflate numbers). That is a gain of 2.5-3lbs a day. Not bad for a steer with Jersey in him (3rd generation). Also what he was fed was some hay, but a lot of grass silage. Grass silage is the key, it has protein, corn meal has energy :D.

Jeff

15. pygmywombat

Last steer we had Jeff- born mid July 2002, butcherd first week of August 2003. Weighed 1100 lbs live, nothing but grass, hay, and nursing. And he was a purebred Guernsey. Almost 400 lbs of meat in the freezer. Not much marbling, more like venison- which is what we are going for. Yummy. I think with the Holstein genetics this guy is going to be a big one.