Pictures of goats' hooves?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AndreaNZ, Dec 31, 2004.

1. AndreaNZ

AndreaNZ Well-Known Member

Hi, all -- we've been looking for good pictures (either diagrams or photos) of the construction of a goat hoof). Mainly because we're just starting to learn about the construction of horses' hooves (because we're switching to the Strasser Hoof care method of trimming, and the farrier that came out came with diagrams and all sorts of actual bits of horses hooves, some cut cross-wise. Very complex things, horses' hooves, almost like an organ!). We're quite interested in learning about our goats' hooves as well, so if anyone knows of some websites with good pix, that'd be great to know. I've got about a dozen goat books, and none has any good internal pix of the structure of the hoof.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Andrea
    NZ

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Greetings and Happy New Year Andrea in NZ,

I believe the site I'm listing is great for hoof trimming pictures. You will need to click on "goat health and husbandry" on the first page to get to the proper page and then scroll down to hoof trimming.

http://fiascofarm.com/

Hope you like it as well as I do.

Nappy

3. AndreaNZ

Thanks, Nappy -- I should have been more specific. We know how to trim hooves (with a herd of 36, I shuold hope so!), but what I'm after are pictures of the internal structure of a goat's hoof, and how each section of the hoof works with ambulation and support, etc., as in how the hoof is put together to serve that goat, if that makes sense.

Cheers, and here's to a tranquil 2005!

Andrea
    NZ

4. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

Hi Andrea. I went barefoot with my horses 16 months ago when my boy grass foundered. With tears and lots of 'cussing, I learned to do the trim my self. Everyone is amazed when I ride on gravel roads and he doesn't limp, give and has a happy expression on his face. You won't be sorry at all for learning this.

I have tried to transfer what I learned to my girls feet but the "landmarks" are different and I can't get a grasp on it. If you find what you are looking for, please e-mail me and share. I'd be greatly interest.

Have a great New Year.

Leslie

5. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

After rereading your post I realized that you were looking for the internal hoof structure but I don't have any idea of where you might look for the information. Sorry. Maybe a veterinary textbook....?

Nappy

6. AndreaNZ

Yes, excellent -- thank you! That is just the kind of thing I've been looking for. If I may ask: what words did you use to find this on google images?

Next question: why do horses founder and goats don't? What is it about the horse that causes the founder to occur, or does the fact that goats essentially have a hoof split in half that prevents it from happening? (Millions of questions; wish I could clone myself and half the other half sitting in front of the computer doing research all day! :haha: ).

Thanks again, Lt. Wombat (love wombats, BTW... cute little weird creatures :D )

Andrea
    NZ

7. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a goat can founder as well. I think it is the same as for a horse, grain overload, etc.

Leslie

8. Melissa--DryCreekAcres

Melissa--DryCreekAcres Member

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

You're welcome Andrea. I used "goat hooves" and got nothing but using "goat hoof" got me what I gave you.

As for foundering: our first Saanan came to us because she had gotten into the grain, was dieing and the people knew nothing about sick animals. We nursed her back to health but those hooves MUST be trimmed every 2 weeks or they become hugely overgrown.