Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow-up to the thread on telling NDs from pygmies, here are some pictures of the 12-week-old black roan (agouti) ND doeling I just bought.

This is My Kids Farm B OnceInABlueMoon (Piddlin Acres W Bjorn x Piddlin Acres Blue Moonshadow 2*D ('E' 90.4)):

She's very small and a little shy so these are just candids, NOT posed shots. I suspect her lines are slower to mature so although she's small now, she is proportioned and should catch up to her bigger sister in short order (especially considering the way she eats!). Notice that her bone is more refined than a pygmy (although she will likely be slightly heavier boned than she appears at this age) and her body length is noticeably greater than a pygmy, even under all that hair. Her head is small and her stomach is not oversized for her body (although even young pygmies look similar to this when they start out, before they get that dropped belly appearance). It's hard to really see the difference with a full baby coat like this, but these are some obvious things to pick out. If I were to clip the hair on her rear, you would also be able to see that her legs are not at all posty, which can be a problem in both breeds, but I've seen more often in the pygmies.

The color is what throws people. She is colored like what we've come to expect from the agouti pygmies. I think her great or great great grand dam was a black roan like this, but there hasn't been one noted in this line in recent generations from what we can tell from Val at Piddlin Acres, hence Val's suggestion for Moonie's name. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I had a doeling similiarly colored this spring. Excellent bloodlines (Rosasharn and Caesars Villa) and I darn near had to give her away. Everyone that saw her said "she looks pygmy". Small and great conformation, but sold her very very cheap to a pet home.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
She is so cute with those big blue eyes! WOW. I love the second picture with her new buddies in all their winter coat glory...beautiful goats :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
The blue eyes are a give away. Pygmies do not have that trait.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, some folks are really turned off by the color. I could not pass up the quality of the overall animal and the bloodlines and I don't let color bother me. She may not win in the show ring because of her color (what a shame that would be), but she should produce amazing animals and TONS of milk. :)

Heh, on the woolies, did you notice the babies on the right chewing their cud? They all look like puffy-cheeked chipmunks! LOL

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
There was a time not long ago when agouti wasn't allowed on NDs under AGS, no doubt to worries about possible pygmy blood being involved. But that color should not be a factor at all in the ring under AGS rules. (not sure how ADGA views this).

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Color is not mentioned in either ADGA or AGS breed standards so it isn't *supposed* to be considered, but if one judge has a bias against it (or for it, it can go both ways I suppose), just like wattles, it can affect the way that judge places the class. As long as she meets the breed standard and produces high amounts of milk and kids of high quality conformation, I'll keep her in the herd and on the list for the breeding string. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts