picture of winter booger noses

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

As you can see, the doe looking at us has a sore nose. The old post has an update from a professor of Veternarian school in Virginia saying it is probably structure of the nose, it is higher on the muzzle and flatter, more like a camel's nose. The new buck's nose is different.

I have noticed that my alfalfa pellets are dusty so I am shaking before using. I also stopped the wood ash/lime and shavings. I got a new pelleted wood bedding that I sprinkled over the floor. I think it will work better. Also, since it is the middle of winter, the hay does get a little dusty. Hopefully all this will help.

I still want to send out a sample but just found out my vet is leaving the practice. :no:

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Dee,
    I just read your first post. Don't have anything to suggest but to add. Depending on the dust in the hay, my goats have allergic reactions, sneezing mainly. I hope your able to find a workable solution.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

You know I am thinking and maybe I shouldn't but seems like maybe this goat has an imbalance of Vitamins and Minerals just for instance in the case of Selenium, (not that this is your problem) but if you don't use Vit E along with the Selenium then you have a possible poison problem. Zinc is one that helps heal infections of any kind so if a person or a goat is low in Zinc or there is an imbalance of other things they they don't utilize the zinc to benefit them. Cobalt is another that has to be balanced with something else in order to benefit them. It is easy to test yourself for cobalt and iodine but right off hand cant remember how you test for cobalt. Iodine you just swipe your 7% under the tail and if it disapears right away they need more until it stays on. If it doesn't disapear then they are getting enough from their minerals.
    I have a list from Sue Reith on what each Vit does or doesn't do if you want.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I think your diagnosis is chemical pnemonia, or at least scald. Wood ashes, especially hardwoods is lye, you add liquid to this, either rain, humidity, a noramly wet nose, or urine and you have a chemical reaction, if the girls dig in this with their noses, it can burn the end of their noses, their udders their vulvas, just from their normally wet noses. Ask a soapmaker to show you lye and water mixed together. Lime is also a culprit if it is not spread onto the bottom of the shavings or straw. If you goats are diggers using things like this is a disaster waiting to happen, I have seen udders scalded from lime also.

The products like stall dry and the generic are much better products to use around your goats. Vicki

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Now that makes sense.

The new wood pellets seem to be working great. And I think once I get their noses from being irritated, I'll see a difference.

Thanks