Pics of my fat goat, from other thread

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Dec 25, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Here are pics of Coffee, my little "special needs" goatie.

Notice the stumpy legs! The grey goat, Cayenne, is Coffee's " 3/4 sister " Meaning their mothers were twins, and they have the same father.

Coffee's mother abandoned her at birth, but nursed her twin. Coffee has always been mentally and physically "slow", but is a sweet, loving goat. I hope these pictures show why I am worried about her weight (from the other thread):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

BOY she looks like she is pregnant! I think that she needs to go on a diet about now, put her in isolation and build her an indian sweat hut. Good Lcuk, bye.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

She is chunky. Is she part Pygmy? This could account for her build. What kind of buck did you breed her to? Your goats have a lovely goat yard.

4. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

You know, everyone asks if she's a Pygmy, but she's not! As near as everyone on this forum could tell in a thread from last year, she is simply a "true dwarf", meaning, like a midget- the way a person could be a midget!

The last two pics are of a grey goat- Cayenne. Cayenne's mother and Coffee's mother are 1/2 Alpine 1/2 Nubian and are twin sisters. Well those twin sisters were bred to the SAME Alpine buck, and the results were Cayenne and a twin buckling, and Coffee and a twin doeling.

I personally watched both breedings, and both kiddings; and there were no other bucks on the property.

Cayenne and her twin happily went off with Sister #1, But Coffee got left behind when HER mother (Sister #2)only took her twin and not her.

Coffee could not stand when she was born, so we milked her mother and bottle fed Coffee. We knew something was very wrong with her when she still couldn't stand up on her own by day three.

We had to wipe her bottom for her to get her to defacate, but boy, was she into her bottle! By 4 weeks old, she would follow me everywhere, but was easily confused and frustrated. She couldn't climb, or jump, and the other goat babies were very mean to her.

She's almost two years old now, and has developed EXTREMELY slowely- she still "loses" the herd and gets very confused trying to "find" them: I don't think her hearing is too keen, though she hears my voice from inside the house and calls to ME often.

I just visited the farm where Coffee was born, and petted both her mother and twin sister. The twin sister is the PICTURE of a large, all-dairy, leggy AlpineX. There is NO resemblance! The head is longer and more refined, the back isn't as long, the limbs are longer and more angular, etc.

Oh, and Coffee is NOT bred; I don't feel she would understand her responsibilities as a mother; she didn't have one of her own. She was also TERRIFIED of the buck who visited last summer to breed Cayenne, to the point of sprinting around the pen with her mouth wide open! Everytime he would make his goblin noises, she would put her ears back and sneeze and bolt. I also wouldn't want her to pass any genetic abnormality onto any offspring; I love her to death, and am glad I bottle-fed her, but I wouldn't jump for joy if I had to do it again.....

Ha, Ha, you like my goat yard? Yes, it is VERY pretty..... it's my front yard! My goats have the run of the property; they go wherever they want on the 15 acres. They usually stay within eyesight of my horses, lots of times grazing/browsing with them. They come in to a 12 x 16 horse stall at night for some pellets and hay (Coffee gets ONLY hay). If I'm "late" putting them away, they LET ME KNOW by knocking on the front door!

5. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Heh. She's kinda cute, isn't she? In most herds she wouldn't be loved or appreciated- I'm glad that you have each other. :)

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

It's my opinion that her stockiness is related to her "dwarfism" anamoly. Just as human "dwarfs" often have a stockier build. Maybe you should just accept her as she is and love her for as long as you have her...meaning even reducing her food may not really deal with the underlying issue...and would diminish her health and quality of life. If that is her natural build and you are attempting to bring her to a more "normal" appearance although she obviously really isn't "normal" that might be an exercise in futility. IOW, this is probably her "normal". It is not as if you are breeding her or milking her and such...

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

You know, come to think of it, Jill is right. We have two girls that are part of triplets, the other was a boy and got sold, well the older one is SO TINY, hence her name Tiny Tina, she looks JUST LIKE a dwarf, VERY VERY tiny, her younger sister, the last one born has alwasys been twice her size, Tina used to be able to walk under her brother too! Tina has always been a lot "fatter looking" too, even though she gets as muach food in proportion to her body as the rest do. So it might be the same case with your girl too.

P.S. On a funny note, Tina's new sisters, twins from the same mama and same dad, that are only 3 months old are already as tall as her :p .