Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the gardening forum too, but thought some of you might not visit there.

I'm so excited! There were at least 9 monarch butterfly caterpillars feeding on my Butterfly Weed bush for a week or so. Then, I noticed some of them were missing, so I decided to go looking for them (thinking they would be making their chrysalis soon). I found three of them in different ornamental grasses. One of them has attached itself and formed a chrysalis where we can watch it easily (right outside the back door!)

August 15th

August 17th

August 19th

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Great photos.Ive never seen that before. We were really excited to see a few this weekend. I told my DW that fall couldn't be far away if they are already starting their miagration.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Family and I returned home from a weekend trip 4 yrs ago. As I drove up the drive way, I looked up and could not figure out how 7 trees, all over 30', could have died over a 48 hr period.

Parked the car, and walked over the to trees. I could not belive my eyes.

They were covered with Monarchs. I have never seen that, and doubt I ever will again.

We sat outside as a family until dark.

In the morning 99% were gone.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
When I was a child the caterpillars showed up on the weeds out back every year. We would go out and collect some~ pick the weeds to feed them in a little 10 gallon tank in the house~ watch them make the chrysalis and then watch the Monarchs come out every year. Then we would take them outside and release them.

I've never been that lucky to have them right out back for my kids~ but back in 1996 when the boys were still little we did get lucky and find some at the local park~ we collected them and watched them through the entire process at home just like we used to when I was a kid. It was great!

I love seeing the pics! Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
33,102 Posts
I had 3 butterflies emerge in the house yesterday. I got to watch 2 of them from the split chrysalis until the wings had fully expanded. I have lots of milkweed in my yard and love to see the caterpillars in it. I was determined to not bring any inside this year but between the ducks eating the plants out back and having to pull milkweed plants from between beds in the garden, several caterpillars ended up inside anyway.

Anybody need milkweed seed? I have lots from last year and a bunch more seeds coming on from this year. PM me if you want seed.

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
travlnusa said:
Family and I returned home from a weekend trip 4 yrs ago. As I drove up the drive way, I looked up and could not figure out how 7 trees, all over 30', could have died over a 48 hr period.

Parked the car, and walked over the to trees. I could not belive my eyes.

They were covered with Monarchs. I have never seen that, and doubt I ever will again.

We sat outside as a family until dark.

In the morning 99% were gone.
Wow...that would be really great to see. I only ever see two or three at a time here, so I doubt I'll ever get to witness anything like that.

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ArkansasLady said:
I wish this could be stickied here or over in the gardening forum so we dont loose it...very very interesting...
I plan to take pics and post them every time there is a visual change, so it will probably stay near the top.

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a pic I took this morning. The original one (that I posted pics of earlier) emerged sometime while we were gone over the weekend. The one in this pic made its chrysalis a day or two after the other one did, so I would imagine this one will emerge sometime today. I'll try to get more pics!

·
Mom to 6 great kids!
352 Posts
I have swallowtail and monarch caterpillars at various stages in my house. I just love watching them. I had a swallowtail and a monarch emerge the same day.

I am interested in that butterfly weed you have growing. Did you plant that and where can I get it?

Thanks,
JennNY

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JennNY said:
I am interested in that butterfly weed you have growing. Did you plant that and where can I get it?

Thanks,
JennNY
Here's a pic of the butterfly weed. I believe it is related to milkweed. Yep, I planted it...I think I bought it at Lowe's or Home Depot on clearance several years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I found a Monarch chrysalis attached to our tent as I was taking it down a couple of years ago. We carefully attached it it to a tree branch and it was gone a week later, I hope as a butterfly. The most amazing part was that row of bright, metallic gold dots on the chrysalis--royalty no doubt!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.