Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great pics! You must have rain - it's so green and beautiful!
Thanks! Just had one little dry spell this year, but have mainly had rain....really green right now....actually just had some flooding. Last 2 summers before though, real dry! The only thing good about those droughts was putting up hay with my real old equipment...nice to have a month to put up what you mowed on day 1 because of all the breakdowns....lol. I hope you get some rain soon out there!!!

I fed some oranges to my young gilts...need to try the rest. I will say they played with them more than anything I have given them. They would eat the good stuff, chewing and sucking on them, then flip the peels up, tossing them out in front of them and would go get them...then play some more and then eat the peel. They weren't real hungry though, so I don't know if it was a true test....they did eat them though. They are cleaning and tilling up one of my biggest garden spots right now, plus I've been upping their grain and have caught up to what they want with everything else.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh...and I'm on my way to being able to add the certified scurvy free label to an already going list of labels with quite a few being made up to make one heck of a long description of what I have for sale in the way of swine...:D When every one is raising hogs like there used to be, I'll need all the edge I can get....haha...:D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your honeymoon phase pic - is the spotted one a gilt? She looks just like one of our pregnant gilts. They could be sisters :) Do you know her genetics? Ours is half poland china, 1/4 berk, 1/4 hamp. Great pics!
:D Yes, the spotted one is a gilt. She's super funny...acts just like a dog. I love spotted pigs and can't wait to see what these Berk/Spot pigs look like! She'll farrow early Dec. at the earliest. I think she was in heat on 8/9 but I don't know if she let him breed her or not...they were just put together a few days prior.

She is registered in the National Spotted Swine registry. She's a daughter of Grus Optimus Prime 30-1 and out of a Camo daughter.

I got her from the best people I've done business with so far! Papers came right away....super nice....even answered questions I had about pigs in general when I called back later....they sent a thank you card and everything. I got such a kick out of the thank you card that I send thank you cards to the people that buy pigs off of me now....:D.....won't be able to if I sell any with no papers I guess....won't have the address. I'm so used to dealing with bad that it was a neat experience! ...:D I guess my first Berk gilt buying experience was really good too!

Thanks for the great pics comment! That will be neat when your gilt farrows! What do you have her bred to?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Our gilt acts like a dog as well and talks to us. I am hoping these calm, friendly traits will pass on to her being a good momma. She is due November 12th and was bred to a registered Hereford boar - Killer. Hoping for some great colors! TY cards are a great marketing tool. Good tip! The day the boar arrived she was in heat. She got bred and followed him around, talked to him, nuzzled him, slept next to him = definite honeymoon for days. Three of our pregnant gilts are spot pigs. They all came from the same three sows, so the breeder couldn't tell which gilt belonged to which sow. Sows were great moms with good sized liters. We will see how 5 daughters farrow beginning in November. You have to come and take the pics for us!

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
My 8 month old spot is bred to beautiful reg. Hereford boar. Should get some nice color out of that mating.

My Hereford Gilt bred to Bluebutt had 11 beautiful mulit-color piglets. The piglets are 3 weeks old now and eating everything in sight. The piglets are just now letting me touch them. I don't rush it.

My pigs get ground corn mix every day along with all the pasture they can consume. They are busy on milo and peas in the pasture now along with 5 grasses in another pasture. They forage in the woods for acorns,hickory and hazel nuts etc. about 5 hours each day.

I will be looking for a couple Berks Gilts in a couple weeks. (14-16 teats) well placed. I prefer registered stock but do make exceptions if the stock comes from registered stock.

-

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our gilt acts like a dog as well and talks to us. I am hoping these calm, friendly traits will pass on to her being a good momma. She is due November 12th and was bred to a registered Hereford boar - Killer. Hoping for some great colors! TY cards are a great marketing tool. Good tip! The day the boar arrived she was in heat. She got bred and followed him around, talked to him, nuzzled him, slept next to him = definite honeymoon for days. Three of our pregnant gilts are spot pigs. They all came from the same three sows, so the breeder couldn't tell which gilt belonged to which sow. Sows were great moms with good sized liters. We will see how 5 daughters farrow beginning in November. You have to come and take the pics for us!
"Killer"...:D. Should be very neat what comes of that pairing! I see quite a few Herefords I like in my travels around the internet these days! The Herefords and Poland Chinas I am liking more and more. Even seeing some Tamworths I am liking....I like the really thick babies of them! Sounds like you'll have quite a few babies coming!...and will be from good stuff! That's awesome! Good Luck! That's funny!..lol...I'd love to come take pics of all your pigs....:D.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 8 month old spot is bred to beautiful reg. Hereford boar. Should get some nice color out of that mating.

My Hereford Gilt bred to Bluebutt had 11 beautiful mulit-color piglets. The piglets are 3 weeks old now and eating everything in sight. The piglets are just now letting me touch them. I don't rush it.

My pigs get ground corn mix every day along with all the pasture they can consume. They are busy on milo and peas in the pasture now along with 5 grasses in another pasture. They forage in the woods for acorns,hickory and hazel nuts etc. about 5 hours each day.

I will be looking for a couple Berks Gilts in a couple weeks. (14-16 teats) well placed. I prefer registered stock but do make exceptions if the stock comes from registered stock.
-

I bet these Hereford/Spot piglets are cool looking! I'd love to see some pics! I bet those Hereford/Bluebutt pigs are some built lookers!

That first pic in this thread was my first time getting bulk pig feed. I have been getting 2 mixes done up for me, but having it sacked in my quest here trying to figure out what to feed my pigs. I can't believe I am just now getting it in bulk. I got 3100 pounds for 3 hundred and something...$388 maybe...I'd have to go look again. I have an area that I basically just winter cows on that I'd love to start planting crops for the pigs to forage on!....looking into that and really reading what all you say on it.

I searched how far away we are form each other incase we would ever sell to each other or trade, etc....I think we are at least 400 miles away...:shocked: I'm basically straight north of Kansas City by the Iowa border. I did live NE of Springfield (between Marshfield and Elkland) for a couple years while I was raising quarter and paint horses and a few bucking bulls and cows...worked for MoDot in Springfield.

That's neat you'll be adding a couple of Berks! I am really enjoying these Berks!...everyone of them...no complaints at all and what I am most definitely going to specialize in! I should be close to 10 litters of reg. Berks on the ground next fall and see where I can grow from there. There's a pork meat selling outfit not overly far from me that just takes reg. Berk pigs and has farms grow them for them...I'd like to look into that possibly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice pictures 3acres. From your picture with the trees and valleys in the background I thought you were in the Ozark area. I read that is not so. Very pretty country where you are too. We haven't had pigs for a few years and I miss them very much. Can't wait to get some again, probably in the spring.

Reactions: 3acres

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here is the gilt which resembles yours, 3acres, and of course, Killer. Registered name = Killer Frost, so we shortened it. He is very timid, so the name is a joke for a 600 lb chicken hearted boar. The other side of the gilt's face has a larger black spot, like yours. Gotta love 'em!

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice pictures 3acres. From your picture with the trees and valleys in the background I thought you were in the Ozark area. I read that is not so. Very pretty country where you are too. We haven't had pigs for a few years and I miss them very much. Can't wait to get some again, probably in the spring.
Thanks! Nope, not in the Ozarks. I do miss the clear rivers and creeks down there and all the neat rock formations! Here's a few of what it is like here...(not from this year)

10 more coming....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great looking pigs, Shore Farming! Thanks for posting those photos of them...I can't see enough pig pics! They do look alike! Go spots!...:D Looks like you have some happy pigs there! I figured the name Killer would be used just like all the 3 inch tall dogs I've seen named Killer, only he'd be a big ol' boy and yep....:D He looks very nice! Should be some really nice babies coming your way!

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's some very nice looking property. Is that a river running through it? You've got some nice looking horses and cattle also. Oh..., and I'm super jealous of the old barn. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Reactions: 3acres

·
Registered
286 Posts
Oh, and the signature line...I'm not actually a big snorter when I laugh but every once in a while a little one might happen. Haha. My hubby bought me a card that said that years ago. :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I love old barns! Lots of Amish around here...when I become rich from growing my own food...(HA)...I'd like to have them build me some killer old fashioned barns! The cows and horses are fun!...I'm headed out now to go check on a fall calving cow that calved last night. Sadly, the river doesn't run through my property. I'm up in the hills over looking that river and the river valley that loops around from the north of me around to the west and south and then heads east.

That must of been a good card your husband got for you!...:D Words to live by!...:D. Honestly, we should all laugh hard everyday!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts