Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if I can make pickled beets using the water bath method, and how long to process?
Thank you,
Mickey

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes, you can. I canned pickled beets for the first time this year. I used a friends recipe. They are yummy and so easy to do. They even look pretty sitting on the shelf.

I even took some, put them in the refrigerator & added boiled eggs to them. Let them set a few days for a real treat.

First boil beets for 15-25 minutes with about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of the stem still on.

While beets are boiling make a syrup of 4 cups sugar, 4 cups vinegar, 4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Left over syrup can be store in a jar in the refrigerator for a week or two until needed. Just make up more if needed, just use equal amounts of water, sugar, vinegar.

Remove beets from boiling water, rinse in cold water, cut off the ends and slip the skins. I slice or quarter larger beets, and leave real small ones whole. Fill your canning jars with beets. Cover with your syrup. Cap and seal in a boiling hot water bath for 15 minutes. Don't start timing until water has returned to a boil.

·
Chief Bottle Washer
556 Posts
My MIL gave me a pickled beet recipe that doesn't require a water bath at all. Once beets are boiled and trimmed you boil again briefly with the syrup and spices and pack into jars and seal. (Just make sure the ring is twisted down really tight.) Laughably easy! I posted the recipe over in the Recipe Forum.

CK

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I really like pickled beets. A year or so ago a friend told me about making pickled beets out of canned beets. Sure didn't sound very appetizing but she insisted that everyone raves about them and insisted I give the recipe a try.

Amazingly enough they really are good, not mushy as I had thought they would be and are very easy to make. With the price of purchased pickled beets doubt I'll even buy more of them.

I currently have several cases of canned goods blocking my recipe drawer but if anyone wants to try the recipe let me know and if I see the post or get a PM I'll post it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Since you are making pickled beets here are a few grape jam recipies you might like to try. They really do taste just like Welch's Grape Jam. My son didn't think he would like it, so I put it into a Welch's jar and he didn't even know the difference. Hope you enjoy!
Grape Jam Recipie #1
3 c. beet juice (the water from the cooked beets)
1 pkg. Certo Crystals
Boil for 1 minute then add: 4 c. sugar
1 pkg. grape Kool Aid
Boil for 2 more minutes, then pour into hot jars

Recipie #2
Cook the beets in enough water to cover and cook until tender. Remove and strain. Leave the beets (f small enough) whole while cooking
3 c. beet juice
4 T. lemon juice
1 pkg. Certo Crystals
4 c. sugar
1 pkg. grape jello
In a large pot bring beet juice, lemon juice and the Certo crystals to a boil for 1 minute. Add sugar and jello powder. Boil 3 minuts or until mixture falls off spoon. Skim off any foam. Pour into sterilized jars.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Pickled beets from canned beets.

Open two cans of sliced beets.

Drain and discard liquid from one can.

Drain the liquid from the second can into a sauce pan. To the liquid add ½ cup of distilled vinegar and ½ cup of sugar. Heat to near boiling, add the beets from both cans and heat through.

Cool.

They will be ready the next day or if you can't wait semi-done a few hours later.

I recommend that the juice that is to be discarded be used to make pickled eggs, also using the vinegar and sugar and instructions.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Mickey,
You can do them a couple of ways. I prefer mine plain, not with the spices. They do need processing, as with all foods. Since they have added acid to the beets you can water bath process them, not pressure can them. I am adding a sugar free recipe, too.
I use :
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar, 5 % acidity
Simmer your beets until tender. Peel, and slice. If small, leave whole if desired. Pour syrup over the beets and simmer 15 min. Put into clean, hot jars, add liquid to within 1/2 inch headspace. Seal and process in a BWB for 30 min.

No Sugar Added Pickled Beets
7 lbs of 2- to 2-½-inch diameter beets
4 to 6 onions (2- to 2-½-inch diameter), if desired
6 cups vinegar (5%)
1-½ teaspoons canning or pickling salt
2 cups Splenda®
3 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
12 whole cloves
Yield: About 8 pints

Procedure:

1. Wash and rinse pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

2. Trim off beet tops, leaving 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color. Wash thoroughly. Sort for size. Cover similar sizes together with boiling water and cook until tender (about 25 to 30 minutes). Caution: Drain and discard liquid.

3. Cool beets. Trim off roots and stems and slip off skins. Slice into ¼-inch slices. Peel, wash and thinly slice onions.

4. Combine vinegar, salt, Splenda®, and fresh water in large Dutch oven. Tie cinnamon sticks and cloves in cheesecloth bag and add to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Add beets and onions. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove spice bag.

5. With a slotted spoon, fill hot beets and onion slices into clean, hot pint jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Cover with boiling hot vinegar solution, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.
6. Process in a boiling water canner for 30 min.

Pickled Beets
7 lbs of 2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter beets
4 cups vinegar (5 percent)
1-1/2 teaspoons canning or pickling salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
12 whole cloves
4 to 6 onions (2- to 2-1/2-inch diameter) if desired
Yield: About 8 pints

Procedure: Trim off beet tops, leaving 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color. Wash thoroughly. Sort for size. Cover similar sizes together with boiling water and cook until tender (about 25 to 30 minutes). Caution: Drain and discard liquid. Cool beets. Trim off roots and stems and slip off skins. Slice into 1/4-inch slices. Peel and thinly slice onions. Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, and fresh water. Put spices in cheesecloth bag and add to vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Add beets and onions. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove spice bag. Fill jars with beets and onions, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add hot vinegar solution, allowing 1/2-inch headspace.
Process in BWB for 30 min.

I hope this helps. I have not tried the Splenda in them yet.

·
Chief Bottle Washer
556 Posts
mistletoad said:
I have noticed that American's do pickles very differently than we do in England.

Here's how I pickle beets - slice cooked beets, put in jar, cover with spiced vinegar, screw on the lid. We don't add sugar or water so we don't need to water bath these - the vinegar preserves them well enough.

Hey, that dounds great. What kinds of spices do you use? Do you boil the vinegar at all? Ummm...just wondering how you spice the vinegar.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Actually I use a pre-spiced malt vinegar my sister brought over for me and when I am back home I just buy pre-mixed pickling spice, but my recipe book says:

Bring 1 litre of vinegar (we always use malt vinegar) to a boil with
2 Tbs blade mace
1 Tbs whole allspice
1 Tbs cloves
6 peppercorns
7in piece of cinnamon stick

Then pour the whole lot into a covered bowl and let sit for 2 hours (but 1-2 months is better).

The best way to find out if you would like these pickles is to pour some vinegar over a cooked beet and then eat it - if that is too vinegary for you you won't like the pickles because that is exactly what they taste like.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone,
Lucy, I'm going to try using Splenda on the next batch and let you now how it goes.
Mickey

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Mickey,
I will look for your post later on to see how you like the ones with Splenda. So far I have only used it in jelly recipes, not fruits or pickled vegetables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts