Picking pumpkins

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mark T, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mark T

Mark T Well-Known Member

I planted twelve “Connecticut Field” pumpkin vines so that my daughter’s playgroup could have a harvest/jack-o’-lantern day about a week before Halloween. I chose the planting date by backing up from the “days to harvest” number on the seed packet. Some of the pumpkins have turned orange in mid-August. Can I leave them on the vine or should I pick and dry them?

2. mvfarms91

mvfarms91 Well-Known Member

Good Question. Some of my pumpkins are orange now also. I am thinking that they would be like winter squash where you can leave them on the vine for a while but I don't know. I will be anxiously looking forward to an expert's opinion!!

Susie

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if it varies by climate(probably does), but here in hot, humid Central Texas, I've found that an extra week on the vine and they rot. For me, it's worked best to pick them and bring them in as soon as they turn orange.
    At the least, keep a close eye on them. Mine rotted just overnight left on the vine at that stage.
    mary

4. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't want you to think that I'm an expert, because I have only grown them a few times. But I think they need to be all orange. The one year I picked them early(because of expected freeze), they did not ripen.
    mary

6. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Pumpkins do not have to be orange when picked. If you pick them and leave them in the sun they will turn orange and continue to ripen. If you keep them in a cool dark place the shouldn't turn any oranger and it will slow the ripening process.

I have picked many green pumpkins over the years and many turned orange although some just partially. If you leave them on the vine watch out for bugs. You also don't want them to get too much frost on them. If they freeze and thaw they tend to get mushy and you will see a water mark on them.

You don't say what growing zone you are in. We are in zone 5 and my pumpkins are still green and I still have a lot of flowers. Best of luck, I am sure the kids will have a blast. What a thoughtful thing to do for them.... :)

7. And does it help the set fruit to remove later blossoms - will the pumpkins get larger without them?

8. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

The pumpkins do not necessarily grow larger if you remove later blossoms. It depends on the type of seed you use. The different types are known for their own general size, weight, stems and coloring of the pumpkin.

9. Pinkysbliss

Pinkysbliss Guest

Ok! I planted Pumkins (kind unknown) back in May, I live in Washington state, WOW! was i amazed when they just about over took my garden. Well I also have ripe pumkins. Not only that, my plants seem to be dieing, the leaves are turning yellow and drying up. Thank god for the recent rains. I do have new pumkins on some of the plants, but what could cause the others to die? :waa: I was hoping to have some for halloween. What time of season are they considered winter punkins, Still summer here..hehe.. So is it safe to can them?

Also i need help and a good recipe for canning these, This is my first try at this pumkin stuff.

Thank you
    Pinkysbliss