Picking out your dress--at the feed store?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ceresone, Dec 17, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone else ever do this? feed store was in the back of the grocery store, Mom would have me go back and pick out the sack for my next dress. She always recycled the buttons too, my favorite ones were shaped like celery, radishes, and a tomato.
    Sadly enough, this was the first encounter with "dirty old men" too. After his "groping", i wouldnt go alone. Funny, the things your memory can bring back over 60 years later.

2. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

I recall my mom cutting tiny squares from the feed sacks and threading them onto a large safety pin. She would send the pin of feed sack squares with my dad when he went to the feed store. If we were lucky he'd find sacks that matched what we already had. My sister has a quilt that my mom made using scraps from the feed sacks.

3. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I never went to the feed store, but my Aunt Margaret made me the prettiest little dresses from feed sacks. I remember how soft they were, and they had puffy sleeves and two sashes that tied in the back. I can remember twirling round and round and round in them.

I also have some quilts that my grandmother made from feed sacks. Do they still put feed in pretty fabric anywhere? Just wondering.