picking colors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Sep 2, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

im really excited, as my new house will be underway pretty soon. :dance:
    for the first time, i get to pick out everything, instead of living with what others have chosen, so i want to try and do it right the first time.

i keep changing my mind about what color vinyl i should choose for the outside. i want something that blends into the background, more than stands out. that means browns and greens, and grays. it's set back near a wooded hillside.

does anyone have any suggestions, and/ or pictures? i've seen lodges in forests that have wood stained dark brown, with green roofs, and they almost blend into the woods. from what i understand, the darker colors are no longer available in vinyl because of problems with fading.

inside i expect i'll choose various blues and greens. the floors will be light wood, and the colors light because it is a small space.

i am open to any and all suggestions!!!!

2. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

YAY, girlfriend!! How exciting! There's something so special about building your own nest just the way you want it :)

Outside color is tricky, thinks I, just because what sounds good often ends up not looking good. My house is kinda grayish-beige (light-colored), which should really fit into the landscape well, but somehow, it just mostly looks washed out and dirty. I haven't quite figured out which way the color should go to look right. One thing that might make it look a lot better is if the roof was plain silver metal instead of those reddish-orangy-pinkish shingles. The roof and the walls, as they are, do their best to make each other look blah.

A warm gray is nice for walls, I think. The kind of color you see in old barnwood or different tree trunks? But again, if it's not just right, you end up with something that says "dead fish" or "desert dirt", so the color name alone doesn't really do it.

As for those green roofs, I'm thinking that they clash with a natural setting. The green has way too much blue in it and looks cold... even more so if it's got a backdrop of gorgeous natural greenery. Me, I don't like any of the common modern roofing colors (metal roofing, that is), so I'd aim for a silver metal roof or gray shingles. But, neither would blend in much with nature, that's true.

This isn't helping much, is it?!

Oh, and for interior colors, green and blue tones are loverly, especially with light wood. I like to look around outside to see what would make good accents - a dab of yellow or even hot pink or purple, like wildflowers around a pond, or something like wild goose or duck colors, maybe a small spot of disgustingly cheerful and bright duckweed green (a candle, maybe - not so much as a sofa pillow)... Nature has pretty good taste, except for in the desert, LOL!

Are you going to post pictures any time soon?? You know, for those of us who live vicariously through your building and nesting joys?

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I live in a wooded place also and did my house (painted) a very dark hunter green with a touch of teal the steel roof and house trim are milk chocolate. It looks real nice. I think there may be a photo on my site www.montanasticksandstones.com

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I use the "drive by" approach. Drive around and look at houses whose color you like. Take pics if need be. Then find a color you like that comes close to what you've seen.

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

The real colors would be hard to get on a computer. I agree w/ longshadows,
    drive around and see what you like! I would start w/ siding and then try to find a roof that goes with it.. I watched a very large (approx 4000sq ft), expensive lot/development-farm house style go up--I loved the plan, even walked through it while it was in progress w/ permission .. Then it came to the siding and roof--the siding is a grey that looks very blue and they put a green metal roof on it... The owner is sick (according to a neighbor) but can't afford to change it...It doesn't go together at all..

So--take a Sunday drive and if you find one you love --stop and ask if someone is out doing yard work.. most people I know love to talk about their house...

6. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

LOL this is something I dislike doing - I am decoratorically challenged! Whatever you pick out, haul samples home. I too find something I like and tell the person(s) helping me this is an example of something I like.

7. marvella

i have been looking around, but to tell the truth, haven't been real bowled over by many. i thought medium brown with dark green roof, but once i saw it, i didn't like it too much. then i saw medium brown with brown roof, and while i like it better, it is kind of blah. there was a kind of grey/ green i like, but it had a shingle roof.

got to make a decision soon..... :shrug:

a friend told me about the prettiest place she had ever seen, but it sounds awful- blue and yellow. she said it was butter yellow house with the palest blue roof. i don't think i'd like that much either.

i guess neutral colors would be best. but also kind of boring.

does lowes have any kind of computer simulation that shows what different colors look like irl??

8. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Butter or pale yellow with a gray roof would probably look nice, but with blue - even if it's pale blue - it sounds like it'd belong in San Francisco. I don't know if Lowe's or anybody else has the online color thingy... they might. At least it would give you an idea of what's available and how the colors look together.

One thing to keep in mind is that too much color is something that you might get tired of more quickly than subdued colors with perky accents (flower beds and such). Think of those godawful deep purple and lime green rooms they slap together in remodeling shows on TV... yuck. Or dark red and bright yellow and aqua. A week in a room like that, and you'd probably be ready to climb the walls. The same goes for the exterior, too, I think, except with the exterior, you're really stuck with what you pick for a long time. Boring is easier to spruce up than colorful is to subdue.

On the other hand... my siding is painted. You can tell where spray "dust" traveled a little over onto other surfaces. It's metal, but maybe vinyl can be painted too? And if so, you should be able to pick a color of your choosing rather than going with what's on the market? Just an idea. And I don't see why that shouldn't work for a metal roof too.

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    marvella, do you have a picture of the homesite, so we can see what colors are already there in the environment?

What color is the grass most of the year?
    What color is the dirt?
    What is the dominant color of tree trunks?
    What is the contrast color in the tree trunks?

In California, the grass most of the year is ochre to blonde. It is a light, yellowy green in the late winter and spring only.

In my area, the dirt runs from a yellowed grey through a rusty reddish/dilute terracotta grey, but can vary a lot within a few miles; much of the land is former 'greywacky', a strange conglomeration of geological compositions because it used to be the top layer of seabed that subducted under the continental plate. The top layers scraped off an piled up to form land and hills at the continent's edge, much as layers of paint will pile up in a complex mess as you scrape them off a much-layered item.

The dominant tree trunk color is actually a light grey, with flecks of greenish and brownish grey.

The contrast color in the tree trunks is a charcoal grey/black, an army green, a pea green, or chestnut brown.

So, most of the houses here are ochre, yellowy blonde, or dilute terracotta, with various shades of treebark-grey roofs, and trim in white, black, or..charcoal grey, army green, pea green, or chestnut brown.

People don't consciously realize that they are choosing these colors. It is just what they think seems to 'fit', asthetically.

Every once in awhile you'll see some other color, like bright blue, that looks totally out of place. Usually these people are the ones whose landscaping includes a couple of bumps under a bluegrass lawn (poor choice in this low-water climate), three birch trees in a clump, and a fake creekbed, and if you talk to them you find out they just moved to California from New England.

10. marvella

vera, you are probably right. besides, i'm a stone cold idiot when it comes to planting stuff. any level surface has room for some kind of plant, indoors or out. whatever i choose will probably be hidden within a couple of years anyway. :)

burb- i don't have pictures readily available, mainly because i'm on dial up so slow i play free cell while pages load.

think rain forest lushness and biodiversity (the smokies get almost as much rain,) late afternoon thunderstorms, misty appalachian coves. the hillside behind the site has a lot of shagbark hickory and locust sprouts. any good hardwoods are nearly infants. there are some jack pine and white pines too. in the spring there are a lot of mulberry, dogwood and redbud. lowes has a paint color series called "biltmore estates" that has very similar colors.

ooooh, maybe i should take those paint chips (the biltmore ones) and try to translate them to siding.!?!

11. suburbanite

12. suburbanite

Looking at that site I linked to, how about a brownish-terracotta roof (you wanted metal, right?) like the 'accent color' in the middle hickory bark photo--the recently peeled, unfaded bark color slightly below center in that photo. Door and garage door and shutters in the same color as the roof. Trim 'dogwood blossom' white around windows, door, garage door (this also makes for easy aesthetic use of white vinyl windows, if you choose). Body of the house that silvery greenish grey of the weathered bark, which is really a pretty light color, almost a dilute aqua.

This might be very easy for you to color swatch--just peel of a chunk of shaggy bark from a hickory on the site. Match the vinyl siding to the weathered side, and the roofing and door paints to the unweathered side.

The color of the hickory nut interior might also be a good one for the siding if you find the grey tone too 'blah'. It's a bit warmer.

13. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

14. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

15. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

We just remodeled the outside of our house and went from very bright colors to very neutral ones. The siding (from Lowe's) was called "clay" but it's not WV clay which is red, lol. It's more like a brownish gray, and we put on a slate gray roof. It is very bland, so we painted the soffit, foundation, chimney and eaves a dark green color. The trim color adds a lot, and if we want to change it, painting is much easier than replacing siding.

The Behr website is good for colors, but if you are on dial up, it will take forever to load. Try going to a paint store, they normaly have pictures of their exterior paint colors on houses, and see what you like.

Personally I would stick with something neutral, and punch it up with an accent color.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Here's hoping I can put my thoughts into understandable words.

The thing that stands out to me from your first post is "blend in with the background, more then stands out." Since the background/nature changes with the seasons, my idea would be to go with the colors of light and shade around you. Perhaps go out just before dust and see what are the light and dark colors that stand out to you?

Perhaps you could view some oil paintings of buildings in settings near your own?

This is a really exciting time for you :)

Hugs
    Marlene

17. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

Vinyl!? :eek: :Bawling:

18. marvella

19. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

When I saw this web site, I knew exactly the colors I wanted. I can't afford to take one of their work shops (cost of getting there - they work with you on the fee), but I bought their booklet and will try to do these same colors.

http://www.caneloproject.com/pages/workshops/clayartistry.html

The pic under the title Earth Floors is the most perfect color in the world to me and I hope my floor turns out identical.

20. marvella

thanks to all for taking the time to look stuff up for me. surely somewhere i can find what i am looking for.

grey/ green siding with ? roof? yet to be decided. :)