Pickiest darn pig.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dalilies, May 8, 2005.

1. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

Burbanks is doing great. :) 5 gal. bucket is working great for a waterer. So far, I'm not having a problem with Burbanks moving his trough around as long as I keep enough feed in it for his liking.

Dad burn pig is the pickiest eater, though. Turns his nose up at apple peels, pineapple, and any type of bread, even muffins soaked in milk. (Kid's left overs from breakfast.) He'll come running for eggs but snoops through any table scraps and throws out what is not to his standards. I was just wondering, is he being normal or just spoiled? About ready to tell him, he can't have his eggs until he eats his toast! Pig is just as snoopy as my toddlers! :grump:

Jennifer

2. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

how old is He? i found as they get to 100 lb's there is very little they will not eat, earlier on it seems a there are certian things that they do not eat right away. just because they do not eat it right away does not mean it wo'nt be eaten, I like to watch too!

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

If you give him a choice, he will make it :) I found my pigs to be picky also. I always gave them a choice of scraps in addition to their pig feed. Mine didn't like corn at all unless it was cooked; they prefered cooked scraps to raw peelings. They loved bread. Many people do not give a pig a choice so their pigs eat whatever- even what I would consider inedible garbage. But any animal can become picky and spoiled. It all depends on what you are willing to allow. I tend to spoil every animal on the place- I prefer it that way. :)

4. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

I think he is about 8 weeks, probably about 50 or 60 lbs. I know I'm spoiling him. He has gotten to expect a rub behind the ear. Hubby thinks I won't be able to butcher him, but I figure it is easier to get a friendly pig on a trailer. Plus, I do like my animals to have a nice life while I have them.

It is nice to know that mine isn't the only finicky one and that he may grow out of it.

Jennifer

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer. When they are younger, everything is cute. As they get older and stronger, the cuteness transforms into stubborn behavior and they can be downright obnoxious too. Call it insurance, but when they are ready for butchering you will be too. best wishes with your piglet :)

6. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Do piglets raised on concentrates seem pickier about food? The ones we've raised before seem to be. The other ones we've gotten from another breeder had more variety from the get-go; they got the leftover milk. Boy, did they ever love milk! We are fortunate to have a dairy processing plant nearby, where we can get old milk, yogurt, etc. sometimes.

7. 1Travelingon

1Travelingon Well-Known Member

You get to pet your pigs? I'm a little jealous... :)
    The first two we bought (from the only place around) were the last of the litter. Two weeks later, we bought two more the first of the litter.
    Even though the second ones were more trusting at first, they changed.
    They sniff us out but always run. The person we bought from had very small pens, and was limited in everything he did, he wanted profit but did seem to care just enough but no more than necessary.
    I realize our pigs are for butcher, but until that time I want their lives to be Shangri-La!!! And we have done our best to see to that. They have extremely spacious pens (two) and are fed a variety of everything except meat, bones stuff like that.
    They too are only about 60 lbs. or so, and do not prefer apples, potato, pineapple... but throw them tomatoes and they strut around as if they were carrying a trophy.
    They are fun to watch, and yes it is our first time raising, maybe it will get old, I don't know, it hasn't yet.
    Just thought I'd share.