Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Went to the Locker today to pick up Buddy a 4 1/2 year old Dexter Breeding Bull we had butchered. I had never had a Bull butchered but had heard it was ok to butcher Dexter Bulls right out of a breeding pasture, was fine from numerous people (Thanks Sherry), anyway, the butcher was AMAZED. We talked about Dexters for probably 1/2 hour and he was busy as a Cat on a Iowa tin roof in August.

He couldn't believe that there was no odor in the meat, couldn't believe how tender it was either as far as cutting he figured it would be tough because we made sure to tell him that he was an uncut breeding bull. We wanted him to get the full effect.

Anway, he was amazed at how lean the meat was, how it didn't have the consistancy of bull meat and was shocked at the amount of meat on him. He guessed his weight (no live weight scale - podunk locker) to be 750 pounds (was a small shortleg bull) we brought home 416 pounds of steaks and hamburger. I didn't think that was all bad. He said he always told people if they want lean get a galloway. He said he now has to change his tune. He said he felt like he was working on a buffalo as their wasn't much fat at all.

Long story short, we had Buddy Burgers tonight.
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!
Very Very tender and no fat running out of it.

Guys, I know things have been rather heated the last couple days on the main dexter list, but no matter what the disagreements, the main goal should be the promotion of dexter meat. People need to know what this breed has to offer. We have a special thing here, a Golden Goose if you will, that needs to be promoted above and beyond disagreements, and bloodlines, and personal opinions, etc.

Thought I would post and let you know that Buddy Burgers are really good.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just told him to do whatever. We took him in august 2nd, picked the meat up yesterday. I don't know the specifics that he did. I figured he would know better that I would. We had hamburger again today. I can't believe how nice and lean and tender it was for being a dexter bull.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Dan,

I met a man today who was selling all natural Angus beef. I told him I didn't need any, as I raised my own all natural Dexter beef. He immediately asked me if I had any to sell! He said that he had eaten two Dexter steers a couple of years ago and had been searching for more. It's the best he'd ever eaten.

Genebo
Paradise Farm

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great Genebo! That is what I have found, once people try Dexter meat they really don't want to eat anything else.

I know I don't. I may go around buying old breeding bulls and having them butchered in the future!

TTYL
Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to say my experience is not the same. I sold my 3 1/2 year old Dexter bull to my brother to slaughter. He weighed 803 lbs. The steaks seem to be tough and dry, like you would expect from a breeding bull. The hamburger meat is ok, but not exceptional.

I have also put up a dexter steer and the meat was good, but didnt seem to be anything special. The meat didnt seem to be better than angus but I wouldnt say angus is better either. Jersey steer seems to be the best tasting meat for us :shrug:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi BrokeFarmer,

That is too bad, I wonder if it was the way it was butchered. Ours was out of this world, better than any Angus or Jersey we have ever butchered in the past and we have butchered alot of them in years past. We almost always was buying a side from someone. Just Dexter meat for me from now on.

I plan to Butcher Gavin's Abraham shortly which is an 8 year old herd bull. Will let everyone know if he is just as yummy as Buddy or not.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
It could be the way the meat is cooked. I ruined two good steaks by cooking them on a fire that was too hot. The meat dried out and was just like you said.

I think that grass fed beef is leaner and is easier to dry out. I used less heat after that and got great results.

Genebo
Paradise Farm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.