Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's only 23 pounds, was born on 6/22/08. The breeder said the gentleman that was caring for them (temporarily) over this fall wasn't feeding them well enough. We wormed her and will worm again in a week. She looked too small and a bit scruffy for her age. :( I don't like to say negative things about other breeders, because I believe everyone has the right to raise animals the way they want, provided they have food/water/shelter, but I was really disappointed in the situation when we picked up this girl.

But she's perky and grunting for her food. We're starting her out small on a bit of ground corn and oats until we can get some hog grower. Wouldn't normally feed that to this type of hog, as they get fat so FAST, but she needs something to get her "picked up" a bit... Plus free choice grass hay, and a few acorns as treats.

She's not very tame, so I'm working on that too. I'll post a pic late tonight when I can get them off the camera.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
I swear this picture makes me want to pick her up and scratch her belly and put her is a cute frilly baby hat and take her for a walk in a baby carage. lol

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, those rubber pans we used to use for the horses, until I appropriated them for my pigs! :D

I'm going to try over this holiday weekend to get some pics of her next to something else to show how tiny she is. When I go into the barn to feed her she starts her grunting talk, and I look over the stall door and can't believe that voice is coming from such a teeny peanut!

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weighed her yesterday, and she gained 2.2 pounds in a week. She's doing great. No new pics yet... The cat went into her stall the other day when I was feeding her and they are about the same size, though the pig is a lot rounder. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love that picture of your guinea hog! I have some of my own I bought in August. Not trying to brag but, mine would not fit in the carrier you had in the picture. Poor little girl! How many guinea hogs do you have?

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've got three hogs, and are waiting on the older two to give us some piglets. The older ones were so much bigger when we got them last year, compared to this new girl.

It is amazing how small this little one is for her age! The good news is she's gaining, and she's LOOKS so much better too, so we are on the right track. :D

These were taken on Tuesday this week:

Glad to see another Guinea Hog owner here!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Mare owner!
I tried to e-mail you off board about possible future sale or swap of piglets.
glad to see your little girl is improving so quickly. Please contact me when you have time. Put "guinea hogs" in subject line as I delete anyone I do not recognize. Thanks! Anna in SE Okla.
[email protected]

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, she gained 1.8 pounds last week. Not quite as much, but still a great gain for her. Last night when I went into the barn to feed her I didn't see her, and she wasn't grunting, even with me talking and then YELLING, I started to worry she got out.

Looked over the stall door and spotted a little patch of black under the hay. Yelled right down at her, and she popped out grunting like mad. Whew! She was fine, just was bundled in and sleeping so well she didn't hear me I guess. Today she was up and around and waiting for me. :)

Blu *******, YGM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts